 CAD / 14913
Re: Highly confused about Library Updates for MLCad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:15:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Christopher Deck wrote:

   For years I have been using MLCad, and I am grateful for the great service and support of the software. I recently installed the official parts updates for MLCad offered at the relating website. But now suddenly I have 2 1x1 round plates. The standard 4073 one and a new 6141. May I ask what is the need for this second one?

According to comments in my copy of the 6141 file,

0 // Part 6141 is the counterpart of 4073. Visually, the two parts seem
0 // identical.  This file is provided to make it easier to locate part  files
0 // when using the numbers used in LEGO Digital Designer.

So, I assume 4073 remains the appropriate part to use in most cases.

   Speaking of double parts, I have another question if I may. There is the 1x1x2/3 slope 50746 (http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/50746.dat). I downloaded it when it first appeared. Today it is a subfile for a new part 54200 (http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/54200.dat), the identically piece. But does this need its identical file as subfile?

From 50746’s comments:

0 // Part 50746 is the counterpart of 54200. Visually, the two parts seem
0 // identical. This file is provided to make it easier to locate part  files
0 // when using the numbers from other sources.
0 // 54200 is used for moulding opaque parts, 50746 for transparent parts.

Which is news to me, too. I think I’ve just used 50746 wherever I wanted to model this part. Anyone care to explain to us both what makes one instance more suitable than the other for transparent parts?

   both are indicated as 45 degree slopes although the slope is only roughly 30 degress.

I seem to recall a discussion somewhere about how the angles in many part names are incorrect or at least approximate, but I can’t find the link right now. I don’t remember the conclusion, but my protractor agrees that this part’s surface slope is much closer to 30 than 45 degrees.

Jim

It is quite possible that one number is for transparent bricks and the other is for regular solid ABS. IIRC they are different molds. The LDraw parts library tries to be as inclusive as possible.

Tim