 CAD / 14676
Re: LSynth rubber band question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:45:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
   I built a model containing a rubber band I’d like to model with LSynth and LDraw:

The
real rubber band

So I want to stretch the rubber band between the 1x1 round plates, but it also needs to be pinched together and pushed down slightly between the inverted slopes. I’ve tried to simulate these constraints with a group of bushings, like this:

0 SYNTH BEGIN RUBBER_BAND 4
1 7 -30 0 0 0 -1 0 -0 0 1 -1 0 -0 4265c.dat
0 SYNTH OUTSIDE
1 7 0 8 -10 0 -1 0 -0 0 1 -1 0 -0 4265c.dat
0 SYNTH INSIDE
1 7 30 0 0 0 -1 0 -0 0 1 -1 0 -0 4265c.dat
0 SYNTH OUTSIDE
1 7 0 8 10 0 -1 0 -0 0 1 -1 0 -0 4265c.dat
0 SYNTH INSIDE
0 SYNTH END

However, it doesn’t quite work:

close but no cigar

Should I stick with coplanar constraints, or is there a way to do this? An LDraw file of the relevant area is available here.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

There is a new LSynth in the works. You can see the updates on sourceforge.

Willy has been doing a great job testing, and driving change based on his experience.

Don Heyse has been taking care of the code, and hammering out the bad synthesis behavior, and adding features as suggested by Willy.

I took all the LEGO part specifics out of the source code and put them in an MPD file that is read by LSynth on startup.

Unfortunatly none of these changes involving non-planar rubber band synthesis support.

Kevin