 CAD / 14591
Re: Custom Logo on Minifig
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 14:00:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ed Manlove wrote:

I've tried using the BMP2LDraw utility to convert the logo to LDraw format but
it errors out shortly into the conversion process. The error msg is in German
"Datei $\Path\To\Converted\Dat\File kann nicht erstellt werden." I have also
looked at the Minifig Generator in MLCad.  My plan was to hand merge the torso
body part .dat file with the coverted logo file to make a custom torso.

If you want to convert an image to an LDraw-compatible format, you could also
use my Bitsticker script: http://anoved.net/bitsticker.html

It converts small images to LDraw "stickers." You could position a sticker of
your logo in front of a torso, or with a bit more work you could indeed merge
the sticker with a torso.

As an example, I've made a custom torso with a random picture of me on the
front. I used Bitsticker's "scale to fit" option with a 24 x 24 area (the size
of the hole left in the torso). It took a bit of chicanery to shift the image
into position, so it's not exactly easy as pie, but it's certainly possible.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/anoved/Bitsticker/
http://anoved.net/files/bitsticker/facetorso.dat.zip (40k)

Bitsticker is best suited to photographic images; if your logo is fairly simple,
it would probably be much more efficient to create it in LDraw normally.

Let me know if you have any other questions about using Bitsticker.

Jim