 CAD / 14509
Re: 3D scanning of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Andrew Westrate wrote:
Slashdot readers have probably already seen this, but for the rest of you, there
is an article in the New York Times about using a 3d scanner and rapid prototype
machine to reproduce LEGO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/05/business/05scan.html

Wow, that's some cool stuff.  One of my brothers worked for Z-Corp a few years
back, so I've seen firsthand the output from their older-generation machines.
He showed me a nut and bolt that were fabricated already assembled.  He said the
company had demos where they could "print" a 3-D model of a ship inside a
bottle, or a chain with interlocking yet seperate links.  The material (corn
starch?) that they use is a bit flexible, but not so much that you would worry
about it breaking.

But instead of a $40K 3D scanner, why not just import CAD files?  How long will
it be before somebody comes up with an LDRAW-to-3D scan file converter?