 CAD / 14248
Re: TCLTC Layouts Rendered in Sketch-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains.org.tcltc, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:59:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, J. Spencer Rezkalla wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

   I am finding this technique very helpful in planning out our future layouts, and it is a nice way to archive past layout versions, too.

That’s very cool. I can’t wait to see the finished product with the buildings.

Your wait is over:-) I uploaded pics by the same name.

Ideally, you’d want nice, perpendicular shots of your buildings from the front and sides to create the best effect-- Ross had to use some pretty bad shots to get these, but I think they turned out okay nonetheless.

   I’ve used CAD programs before to study the relationships between buildings on the (MichLTC) layout from various perspectives. Nothing as graphically fancy as what you are doing, just simple featureless massing models of our layout. This was especially helpful in properly incorporating our microfig skyline as a forced perspective element on the layout. (Of course now we don’t do that anymore. We’ve got builders who can build full-size skyscrapers for us) :-)

Yes, well I was fortunate enough to view Jim’s handiwork firsthand in Philly last July-- very nice. I look forward to more michmagic in Detroit:-)

JOHN