 CAD / 14238
Re: 2006: bad year for LDraw parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 21:05:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Alban NANTY wrote:
Hi,

2006 is almost done and there's still no Official LDraw parts release... I guess
this year will end without any update to feed our MLCad :-(

Pretty much the sole reason for this is legal/administrative.  It has nothing to
do with the amount of effort that has gone into part creation, or the amount of
effort that has been put in by the parts admins.

A decision was made not to do any more releases before switching the entire
library to the new CA license.  This will allow the parts library to be truly
complete, instead of having to be installed on top of ldraw027 as it is now.  I
also has various other benefits (like not having to ever track down authors
again).  Unfortunately, it's also a huge amount of work to get done.  See
William's post for some of the work that has gone in behind the scenes.

Note also that it's still theoretically possible that the new release will
happen this year.  I don't think it will, but it could.

--Travis