 CAD / 13846
Re: Minifig generator for macosx?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:58:59 GMT

   I hate GTK and I wouldn't want to offer a version with non native
Win32 or OSX look, it's just too ugly and scares users. I've written a
Linux GTK application at my previous job and ported it to Win32 later
and I had terrible feedback from users, so I won't do that again.

   I think the GTK version will probably compile under OSX with very few
changes to the makefile but I'd rather keep the native look with less
features than have a more functional version that looks ugly.

   If WxWidgets can keep the native OS look without bloating the code
and compile times too much (like Qt) then I'd definitely consider it.

Leonardo

danny staple wrote:
Hi Leo,

Couldnt the OSX version just build with the same GTK bindings? I
thought that would be able to run. Maybe some of the code from the
Linux stuff could be refactored and made to run in the OSX build.

You have got me thinking now, about creating a WX Widgets based build
of LeoCAD, so that the MS Win, Linux and OSX versions can be built
from the same code. Its a bit awkward having to maintain 3 different
versions, and seeing them go out of sync - so there is a lot to gain
by using a cross platform GUI library, and one single codebase. When I
have finished my current project (sorry cant say anything yet), I
might have a look at what that might take.

Cheers,
Danny