 CAD / 13620
Re: LPub whish list
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:56:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
While creating building instructions for this project
(http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=3228), I had a few problems with LPub (I
solved most of them with some image edition).

If/when Orion or someone else can add features to LPub, here is what I'd like...

- Multiple usage of the same sub-model are currently not supported. When LPub
generates layouts, each instance receives its own BI but Lpub gives the same
name to all instance files. So only the last instance can be seen, and the page
numbering is wrong. This can be addressed by changing layout files naming to
something like ###-submodel_name_xx.png where ### is the page layout page
number. This would have the added benefit to have the all the files correctly
sorted when browsing the entire project.

I'll have to test this to see what is going on.

- But of course the best solution would be to get only one set of instruction
for each submodel type. A completed image of the sub-model to be built along
with an instance count would make things clear
(http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/LpubWish/sub-model_image.png)

This would of course be optional because it is not always used.  We get a half
dozen or more meta-commands for describing the placement of said image (he says
because LPub already has dramatically more meta-commands than any other
program).

- Possibility to add some text annotations to the part list or BOM
(http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/LpubWish/parts_per_step.png). This
allows to add lenth information to cables and hoses. It could be implemented as
an additionnal optionnal string argument to the LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB command.

Hmmm...... then we'll need placement description for that too?

- In multi-step per page mode, having the option to get a part list for each
step instead as for each page. For large models, pages need to be big so you get
many steps on the first pages to fill them. Finding and identifying parts is
difficult with large PLI. For example here
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/LpubWish/parts_per_step.png I had
to add text to the step images to clearly identify tubes even though they were
added at a different step.

Yup, I understand this request.

- In multi-step per page mode it would be nice to be able to control alignement
of steps on different rows (columns). Here
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/LpubWish/alignment.png I would have
prefered to get all rows right-aligned.

Currently I assume center justification..... right and left make sense too.

- An interesting possibility would be able to zoom on a part of a big model in a
callout, as I did here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/LpubWish/zoomed_callout.png. To do
this, I used a smaller model callout and buffer exchanges to hide the big model.
Workable, but I still miss the possibility to crop the image to some dimension
to make the user understand that it's a partial view.

Well, at some point, manual user post processing needs to be the solution.

I'll add one to the list:

Allow a given step/multi-step to span two adjacent pages.

Anyway... many thanks to all the authors of the wonderful software pieces that
were used during this project:

    * LeoCAD for the main modelling.
    * MLCad with LSynth plug-in for the tubing.
    * MPDwizard for MPD generation and unofficial parts embedding.
    * LPub with LDGlite renderer for image synthesis and layout.

Philo

Philo,

  Do you own C++ Builder 6?

Kev