 CAD / 13292
Re: Newbie questions about Lego CAD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:31:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Christian Melchior wrote:
   Hallo!

I’m new to the LEGO CAD world, but so far I’m really amazed about the great possibilities this programs offer. Well, I try to ldraw the official LEGO Set 8837, one of my favorites before the dark age. Now I’m getting into some trouble.

Question 1

Currently I’m at step 9. In this step, the bottom assembly (chassis) is complete. In the next step, the BI starts with the superstructure and the chassis is not shwon. In step 23 the chassis appaers again to complete the modell.

Is there a way to do the same with LDRAW/MLCAD? Adding parts and steps to the BI, hiding that steps/parts, begin with new parts/steps and finally show the first parts/steps again? I’ve played around with buffer exchange, but no succes.

I recommend that you put the chassis as a sub-model relative to the main model. You can either do this using separate files, or you could use MPD.

Use Multipart ->New model to start on the superstructure.

Also make sure the superstructure model is listed before the chassis, as the top most level must be first in the file (see Multipart->Model Sequence to modify the order).

Question 2

This modell contains the technic turntable (LDRAW-parts 2855 and 2856). Normally. the two parts are connected and shown ih the PLI/BOM as on single pieces. I’ver try to substitute this two parts with the LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB Meta-Comment, but it doesen’t work. The Problem is, that there is no part in the LDRAW-Libary for a complete assemly of the turntable.

I’ve searched the news groups and read different ways to solve this. Someone stated, I had to place an dat/ldr file in the directory of the modell, some else says the substitution-file must be stored as a submodel.

Could someone post an example?

BTW: I’ve seen different syntaxes of the LPUB meta-comments, e. g. ‘LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB’ and ‘PLST BEGIN SUB’. Are they equivalent to each other or is it version-dependent?

PLIST metacommand is depricated.

Create a Multipart->New Model that contains the two halves of the turntable merged as one part. Call this sub-model turntable.ldr

Then try this:

0 LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB turntable.ldr

blah

0 LPUB PLI END