 CAD / 12704
  Re: Make Small BOMs

(...) Very cool! Welcome to the fold. (...) When LPub is doing PLI's it sorts all the parts by width, and drops the widest part in the first column (bottom of the PLI). The width of this part defines the column width. From there it tries to add (...) (19 years ago, 22-May-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Make Small BOMs

(...) <snip> Here is the BOM for pendmatic sorted by type and then allocated with rows and columns: (URL) is the BOM for pedmatic sordted only by width, and allowing subcolumns and rows. (URL) the second one has higher part density. Kevin (19 years ago, 22-May-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Make Small BOMs

(...) <snip> Here is pedmatic's BOM sorted by type with no subcolumns or subrows. (URL) is pedmatic's BOM sorted by width and allowing subcolumns and subrows. (URL) second one clearly has a higher part density. Kevin (19 years ago, 22-May-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Make Small BOMs

(...) <snip> (...) That's essentially what my algorithm does but I give the bias to whichever side will make the biggest new area rather than basing it on a specific preference. (...) Although there's no particular reason for it to happen, my (...) (19 years ago, 23-May-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Make Small BOMs

(...) You know, I think Kevin and I were discussing this not too long ago. I vaguely remember something about using the (URL) minkowski sum> on the alpha channel of the png files. But I don't remember exactly what for. Anyhow, there's a nifty applet (...) (19 years ago, 24-May-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Make Small BOMs

(...) And before I forget, here's a link to (URL), an open source bin packing program. Maybe there's some good ideas in there. Have Fun, Don (19 years ago, 24-May-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Make Small BOMs

(...) Thanks! Knowing the name of things makes it so much easier to find them. I did actually search for this type of algorithm at some point but I think I was searching for "rectangular packing" which wasn't very succesful. That's a nifty looking (...) (19 years ago, 24-May-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)