 CAD / 12548
Re: Lego dimensions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 23:03:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad, brent skadan wrote:

so I would not have
   to break out the calipers and measure the darn things.

Brent

Just from my experience doing this stuff, you’ll want to make a range of parts with varying “fudge factors”.. At least on the RP machines I’ve tried, the accuracy of these machines at those small dimensions are just not “repeatable” enough.. Once you figure out which way your machine will print, I suppose you could nail in the correct dimensions.. You also have to remember, these things were designed to make prototypes, not finished parts, per se. You may be able to crank up the resolution though..

What kind of machine are you using? We have an older Stratasys at my workplace, and chipping out the support material on LEGO parts is not a chore I would wish on my worst enemy. The water-soluable support stuff is good though - if you want do a search in the parts group to see the RP stuff a bunch of us made earlier. I’m lusting after one of the EDEN Polyjet machines, but my Governator says no way...