 CAD / 124
Re: Lego Creator CD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 03:59:58 GMT

LEGO Creator is not perfect.
It is a whole lot slower 'loading' than LDRAW.  (Extremely slower.  I have a
P233 and the techie had a P2 300 and he was complaining about how slow it
was.) However, once it loads it's speed seems unaffected by the number of
parts.  It moves very fast and very smoothly.
I haven't tried special orientations as you described, but I don't think
they are possible.  When you move a brick it only moves by 1 peg
increments.  Also, you can only rotate the bricks in one plane.  They will
have to do more programming to get it to the 3d rotation and incremental
movement we are used to in LDRAW.  Both good suggestions for their email
address.
It also comes up almost like a dos program.  You can't reduce it down to the
task bar (WIN95), it's not a window.  You can alt-tab to other
applications.  I believe you can create instructions.
The marvel of this thing is you build in a world.  A BIG world.  Once you
have your city or country completed you can fly, walk, or run around it.
You can also set animations, like airplanes flying, and cars moving.  There
are transparent lighting bricks, and lots of other things I haven't explored
yet.  And once you build your world then you can play in it.
It still needs a lot more options, like saving models in a special
directory, and creating your own world environments, but I think it is still
great and will be a lot of fun.

Adam

Some more info:

I ordered it from Lego USA S@H about a month ago.

I just got off the phone with one of their tech support guys.  They just
got the beta version two days ago and have been playing with it to prepare
themselves to answer questions.  It wasn't supposed to be released for
another 10 days, someone goofed.  Here were some of my questions and his
answers:

1.  Are there any shortcut keyboard commands?
    No.  Wait... yeah they must have just added them in.  Look at page 35
in the manual.

2.  Will they add expansion brick sets in the future?
    They told us that all the bricks would be in there.
    Me: They are missing basic things like 4x3 windows with shutters and
panes, 4 hole doors, arches, etc...
    Him:  Well I guess they might release expansions in the future.

3.  When I click the WWW Internet icon it automatically goes through
Internet Explorer even though my default browser is Netscape.  Is there
any way to set the browser it loads?
    Wasn't aware of the internet icon.  Let me check it out.  Yes you're
right.  I'll send your comments to our product development team.

4.  When I tried to reach www.legomedia.com (their software homepage) I
was asked to enter a username and password.  I just registered with you
guys and no one gave me anything.
How do I get in?
    I just tried and I can't get in either.  I didn't even know you needed
to login.  I'll check on this right away and email you an answer.

5.  When building close to the base of mountains the second level bricks
get sheared off by the mountain when you are building at certain distances
and then viewing the wall from a certain distance.  Is this a bug?
    I was able to reduplicate it and it's not a bug.  I don't think we
could fix that problem.  It appears the brick is sheared off when it gets
close to the mountains base line.

6.  Can we add mountains and water to our worlds?
    No, not yet.  You just have to work with what has already been set up.

    However, if you and everybody you know who owns it sends us an email
requesting new additions for the product they will probably make the
changes.

7.  What modeler did you guys use to design the parts?  They have an .ica
extension.
    I don't know, it was an out-of-house company that programmed the
game.  They might have used a proprietary modeler.  It was programmed in
Active X though.  Superscape is the software company.

Todd Lehman wrote:

Adam Howard writes:
I just got mine!!!
Wooooohooooo!!!
I can't wait to try it.
Adam

I can't wait to learn more about it...!  What does its file format look
like for models and bricks?  Is the animation smooth?  Can you make your
own bricks or buy more?  Are there limits to the complexity of the models
created?

--Todd