 CAD / 12397
Re: Visio and Picture formats (was New Parts Drawings - Plates, Slope, Track Pieces)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 01:57:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Mark Bellis wrote:
   Is GIF the standard highest compression, lowest loss format?

Not sure if its the best, but certainly used a lot. It is lossless.

   If so, why doesn’t everyone use them?

Well a lot of people do. But that changed a while back because CompuServe (who own the format) threatened to charge royalties for using it. I don’t think anything came of that, but lots of websites converted all their GIFs to other formats in case.

Actually all the concern is now moot since the software patent for LZW compression (which the GIF format uses) expired in 2004.

-Orion