 CAD / 12363
Re: Solid Modeling of a Lego(tm) Person with Pro/ENGINEER
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 07:26:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Clark Stephens wrote:
I found this whilst looking for something else and thought it may be of
interest. It is a class exercise to introduce you to a 3D-modelling package
(Pro/ENGINEER).

Hey, that's neat! Beginning Pro/E students need all the help they can get!

I've been using LEGO in my CAD class for years (I use AutoCAD/3DS). I've even
contemplated writing a book about it.. I suppose I should make a website, eh? I
believe there's a bunch of LEGO stuff on SolidWorks' free model database as
well. Everything stated about LEGO helping learn 3D is true - I can't tell you
how many times a complicated concept can be easily conveyed to a student by
showing him/her a physical model!

The only nitpick I have with the linked site's 'fig is the arms look really
weird, and I know Pro/E is capable of much better looking stuff. I'm kind of
proud of how the arms in my class' 'fig look, but it's fairly arcane stuff
trying to get AutoCAD to make those shapes! I understand how a lot of the
modeling has to be simplified for tutorials to work correctly.

I use the exercise to teach basic materials and textures too:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/durbien/test/ocanadaminifig.tif>

(Don't ask me why Canadian racecar drivers don't wear pants)

I've been thinking about incorporating Illustrator/Photoshop-created materials
to make custom minifigs - I think this semester I'll have them make
self-portraits.

I like the way they've laid out the project, and I might implement some of their
evaluation techniques. Thanks for the link!

Darrell

FUT to edu because that site is a pretty neat example of online learning, CAD,
and LEGO.