 CAD / 12362
12361  |  12363
Subject:
Solid Modeling of a Lego(tm) Person with Pro/ENGINEER
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:23:10 GMT

I found this whilst looking for something else and thought it may be of
interest. It is a class exercise to introduce you to a 3D-modelling package
(Pro/ENGINEER). It is sponsored by the The University of Melbourne, Faculty of
Engineering. Here's the index link:

http://www.mame.mu.oz.au/~dober/engcomm/cg3.html

Of particular interest to me were the reasons a Lego minifig was chosen.

"The LEGO person was chosen as a modelling subject because:

it is likely to be familiar to many engineering students;

its shape is composed of a range of relatively simple geometrical primitives,
but is sufficiently complex to maintain interest;

it is possible to lend (not donate!) each student a sample LEGO person for study
and measurement during the class exercise;

some of the body parts are harder to model than others, so learners can progress
through a range of degrees of difficulty;

the various body parts can be combined in Pro/ENGINEER into an assembly, giving
insight into the hierarchy of features, parts, and assemblies."

Hope that helps,
Clark