 CAD / 11478
11477  |  11479
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: DAT2DXF problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 15:47:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Mike Thorn wrote:
   Hello all,

Dark Ages don’t wait for computer errors; that much I think is well proven. :)

I’m having a few problems with DAT2DXF. Whenever I try to convert an LDR file, it converts a couple thousand lines and then starts giving me errors (usually five times in a row, then works for a while, then another five - for some time) such as the following:

then when it finally completes (apparently sucessfully) and I import it into Bryce 5, I get an error saying “A file error has occurred (i/o, bad media).”

Has anybody ever had this problem or know how to fix it?

I’ve tried installing LDR2DXF but I get errors about not having a .NET Framework. When I try the link provided to download the .NET stuff, it appears that there is no installer for WinXP, so that’s out. I’ve also tried Win3D, but I get errors with that too (missing 3dwinreg.dll, which is apparently never installed).

If anybody can help me out here, know of any good POV/LDR-to-Bryce5-compliant converters, or have the time, patience and willingness to show me what I’m doing wrong with my POV file causing me to have to turn to other rendering programs, I would really, really appreciate it! :)

You know my motto: “I don’t need help; I need a personal assistant.” ;)

Thanks in advance, -Mike

I have a dedicated user of the Dat2DXF and of Bryce. You can see some of my stuff at (http://geometries.tripod.com/indexlego.html) Now regarding the error that you received. I have seen this a few times, and it is a pain to fix. If you open a dat or ldr file you can see all of the transformation matrix values and part information separated by values. For the most part the matrix values go out to about 3 to 5 decimal places. Some of the plugin for MLCad (mainly the minifig generator) and some of the utilities programs will place parts in your dat file. The placement is based on calculations that can generate 6 or more values right of the decimal. The Dat2DXF program I do not think looks for space separated values. So what happens it takes only a part of the string then continues from that point for the next. For example open MLCad and use the Minifig generator. Using the default figure add the parts to your current project. You will notice some large values in the matrix. When you try to convert this file project using Dat2DXF you will get an error when hands are reached in the conversion process. The lines from the dat file that generate the error are:

1 14 -23.8634 26.5956 -10.321 0.985 -0.12019 0.12019 0.17 0.696395 -0.696395 0 0.707 0.707 983.DAT 1 14 23.8634 26.5956 -10.321 0.985 0.12019 -0.12019 -0.17 0.696395 -0.696395 0 0.707 0.707 983.DAT

You can tweak the file in notepad, by adjust the values to 3 decimal places and it will make it through the converter. If you look at your file that is generating the problem I image you will find something similar. I know this is crude, but compared to the other converters I think this is very good. But if you need help I will gladly look over the files and try to help with the error.

BTW. Other problems you will encounter; and I have tried several converter and received the same result, are twisted geometries or bowties. There are some parts that contain some primitives that are not constructed properly will generate bowties. An example of this is the primitive box3-3.dat. Any part using this primitive will generate bowties. Even though the converter has an option to remove it the bowtie will still be in the final file. LDraw2LWS will not convert this properly not any other converter I have used (again I have not used them all). To get around this I have altered the parts containing the primitives that generate these problems so I do not get the resulting bowties. If anyone is interested I can explain this more.

Anyway I hoped this help a little.