 CAD / 11226
    LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard —Willy Tschager
   dear LSC members, LEGO Digital Designer (URL) has only one feature I really miss in the LDraw system: the snap-in behavior. guys, I'd like to ask you - no I beg you down on my knees - to define a working standard for a connection database. there is (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) I like the idea of connections. I think it's really neat and would like to see it realised. I support asking LSC to look into this further. But I fear that requiring authors to submit a .cdl file might be increasing the barriers to entry for (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

         Re: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard —Larry Pieniazek
     I'm not sure where this standard definition is at these days, or whether it could be used to automate what I'm doing by a clever MetaWiki robot coder, but I (and others) started capturing some connection information in BrickWiki ( (URL) ) You can (...) (19 years ago, 17-Jul-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

         Re: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard —danny staple
      (...) While a connection database could be helpful, I just cant help thinking that a relationship/constrain system like solidworks and Pro/Engineer use could acheive a lot more. It could certainly be a start, then simplified - so the CAD (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

         Re: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Note that Rosco already did take a crack at a few, including generating some images for them, and in doing so, found a problem in one I created, and caused me to decide to add fields to the connectionTypeBox, which is goodness. Thanks! (...) I (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) I would love to see a connection database for the LDraw system With that we might be able to make a simulator. This could be handy for test driving ideas as well as good for animations. Kevin (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard —Damien Guichard
   (...) Hi Willy, I think "working" needs a tool. 1. there is a tool 2. there is a developping database There is no chicken-egg problem: the tool always precedes the database. Would you model parts without MLCad, LeoCad or LDraw? I doubt anybody (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard —Steve Bliss
     (...) nod, yes. (...) Add to this the fact that to get a working connection-enabled tool, you need start with (or at least develop along the way) a working GUI-based editing tool. That really narrows the field of potential (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

         ...large project anyone? —Timothy Gould
     --SNIP-- (...) I'm going to go a bit more general here so this is an answer to both parent and grandparent and probably other relatives too. -- Why does one person need to do the whole thing? We have a wealth of skills and experience in the Lego CAD (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

         Re: ...large project anyone? —Damien Guichard
     (...) Hi Tim, May be you should get a try at LeoCAM, a LeoCad derivative incorporating LCD-like features: (URL) yours, - damien (19 years ago, 20-Jul-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        LDraw Browser (was: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard) —Willy Tschager
   (...) SNIP-SNAP (...) hi damien, I wrote that request more than a year ago! meanwhile I've made up my mind. I agree that this would be very time consuming and I got convinced that we will probably never see such a feature in any of the editor (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jul-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)