 CAD / 10851
Re: Overlapping lines (type 2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:55:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Niels Karsdorp wrote:

A question for the more experienced part authors:

Is it permitted to have lines (linetype 2) overlap, caused by
adjecent primitives (e.g. two rect or rect and box primitives)?

This isn't 'forbidden' or anything.

But, because of the way renderers calculate lines & edges, this type of arrangement
might lead to 'edge noise' -- occasional doubling of sections of the line.

For the few number of lines involved, I'd look into just using direct lines &
polygons, rather than rect primitives.

Steve

Another example is the motor cutout of several old train baseplates. These have
12 sides and 36 edges, but can also be created with 3 box3u2p primitives and
having overlapping 4 edges. Or should I create another box3 primitive with two
more edges missing? And what would be the name of that primitive?

Niels