 CAD / 10581
10580  |  10582
Subject:
linux ldraw users
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:03:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   I agree that cross-platform is good, and I also think that OpenGL is a more appropriate API to use because of this. However, I think it’s only fair to point out that after releasing a Linux native version of LDView, I got exactly one piece of Linux-related feedback. (That particular thread then generated various other responses by other users.) Now maybe my first Linux release was just that good, but I highly doubt it.

In addition, my Linux release was for LDView version 1.9.7. Since then, I have released 6 versions of LDView for Windows without updating the Linux version, and I haven’t had a single person ask me when I’ll get around to updating the Linux version.

To me, all this says that at the very least most of the people intersted in using LDView aren’t running Linux. Perhaps this is because the people running Linux don’t have good OpenGL performance on their machines. Or perhaps the people running Linux aren’t intersted in a real-time viewer for their Lego models. Or perhaps there aren’t many LDraw users in Linux due to a lack of other tools. Or maybe there just aren’t that many people who use LDView at all, and I’m deluding myself that it seems to be fairly popular in Windows.

On top of all this, even though I did all the hard work of getting a Linux version up and running in the first place, I haven’t had anyone offer to update my Linux release to bring it up-to-date with the latest Windows release. (Note that a vast majority of the newer features would be trivial to integrate into the Linux version, since it would simply require updating the preferences UI to support them.) To me, this says that the other Linux developers are either busy doing other things, or also don’t really care about having an up-to-date Linux version of LDView. (While I have made promises to update the Linux version with each Windows release, I haven’t exactly implied that it will happen soon, just “eventually”.)

I’m not sure I agree with your assumptions about Linux users. From my experience, they seem to be more self sufficient and generally tend to ask fewer questions. I’ve been too busy to play with LDView lately, but if I did, I’d just compile it myself from the latest sources, and I’d probably incorporate any new goodies from the latest Windows sources if they weren’t there. That’s what tkdiff is for. For all you know, someone could have RPMs (or whatever) on the net with the latest LDView already built and ready to run. I myself have no idea how long the Debian packages for ldglite were available before I found out about them.

Don