 Books / 427
Re: Book Reviews, feedback
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 00:01:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.books, Rob Antonishen wrote:
I see there is a fairly comprehensive list of Lego books on the home page for
this group <http://news.lugnet.com/books/> but I was wondering if there would
be any interest in getting these also set up in the Guide section of Lugnet,
to allow for reviews and comments?

I guess I could also just start a thread for each one I am curious on/have
comments on, but figured something more "formal" might be of interest...

-Rob A>

I like this idea. Let's talk about it.

Frank is correct in that Todd has always considered the guide.lugnet.com
subdomain to be exclusively for "The LUGNET Guide to LEGO Sets". That default
main page has been held aside specifically for a splash-page (not yet existing)
into the set info.

Todd and I have, in the distant past, disagreed about allowing the current page
to include some links to other guides. It's my personal feeling that any icon in
the toolbar at LUGNET called "Guide" should lead users to a big "guide to
guides", including the guide to AFOL jargon, the guide to using FTX, and so on.
(But I totally understand and respect Todd's vision.)

So, I'm afraid -that- is a topic for another day. Feel free to make any
suggestions - we will read them. I'm just saying I don't have time now for a
discussion of such magnitude.

For now, I'm about to update the information in the sidebar. I want to create an
underlying set of pages. With the additional room, we can put some cover-art
there, links to authors in our community, pretty colors, member-polls, etc.
Although not a true database, the result would be a useful guide, particularly
if we take advantage of hyperlinking for cross-referencing. User-posts and polls
can be embedded in those underlying pages, so comments can be added to book
entries where appropriate and polls can act as a rating system.

I believe there's a lot of potential. I'd love to get people's suggestions - in
the next few days if possible. Keep in mind: the more elaborate our plans
become, the greater need there'll be for a new dedicated curator.

As it stands, I will be making two underlying pages:
- a list of available titles
- a list of out-of-print titles

-Suz