 Boats / 550
549  |  551
Subject:
The Supply Tender 'Ratsée'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 02:11:07 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The Ratsée is a brigantine rigged (or hermaphrodite brig, if you prefer) tender which is the supply vessel for the French squadron of Port Brique. Her simplified rig allows for easy handling by her small crew (Master, master’s mate and half a dozen seamen), and her sole armament is a bow mounted swivel gun generally used only for signaling.

Like the Trésfroid, the Ratsée is built on a one centre section narrow hull, using inverted slopes to gain some hull width. I decided to, rather than use inverted slope bricks for the centre section (as I did for the Revenge and some of my other smaller vessels), to use a painted white centre section (which I happened to have spare). It’s not a perfect colour match with the dark grey hull by any means, but I think it looks okay, particularly in this application.

The Ratsée uses the small ratlines, which, when combined with a vertical (rather than inclined, like the Trésfroid) rig, make for a robust solution to gaining height for the new style topmast sections. A short technic axle runs from the topmast (the base of which is designed to accept an axle), through the 4x2 technic plate ‘top’, into the top few 2x2 rounds of the mainmast. I guess a longer axle could be used (even one which runs all the way to, or through, the deck), but I find the short one provides enough strength in this application.

The raised forecastle and quarterdeck are probably a bit too much for a vessel this size, and they, with their access ladders, take too much deck space that could otherwise be used for cargo… for the moment though, form overcomes function: The Ratsée is designed to be an older vessel, used to support the more modern men-o-war of the French Squadron. (But I’ll probably rebuild it with a flush deck later, anyway).

As I noted above, the rig has been kept simple. Flex tube arms replace traditional plate arms for the foretopsail – it doesn’t look unreasonably light (I particularly dislike use of flex tube arms on the Viking longboat, not simply because of the inaccuracy of having a lower arm, but because of their flimsiness – particularly when juxtaposed with the gigantic sail and chain sheets, the dichotomy is quite painful!).

The bowsprit, which I think complements the brown masts nicely, is that most underrated part, the teepee pole. It’s brown, it’s tapered, it’s easily secured to the vessel… what more could a builder of small vessels want?

Some more pics:

Cheers

Richie Dulin

FUT .pirates