 Boats / 549
548  |  550
Subject:
The cutter Tréfroid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.boats
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 02:10:02 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The Trésfroid is a cutter operating in the waters around Port Brique, a much more modern design than many of my other vessels.

Built on a one centre section narrow hull (from the Sealion), the Trésfroid’s hull is widened using inverted slopes to achieve sufficient hull width. The hull is built with conventional studs up bricks, although the gallery (such as it is!) is angled.

The Trésfroid is much closer ‘to scale’ than most of my vessels, and the cutter rig, with its raked mast, is fairly close to early nineteenth century practice.

Sails are, as is my usual practice, parchment paper, although the size is pushing what can be made from an A4 sheet.

I’m quite happy with the result, although I think the mainmast/topmast join is far from ideal, and there are a few details which will no doubt be enhanced over time.

Cheers

Richie Dulin