 Boats / 519
518  |  520
Subject:
Ships' Boats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 01:26:10 GMT

Ahoy,

Long time readers of .pirates may remember this post from Richard Parsons covering many excellent suggestions for new pirate parts. One of his ideas was for sectional rowboat pieces to mate with existing 6-wide bow pieces, but providing thin walls and 5 studs internally.

Well, I very seldom forget posts, and I’ve been recently contemplating ships’ boats for a couple of large vessels. The lego rowboats are too small, the belville sized rowboats are wrongly proportioned (and too rare and expensive), smooth sided six wide boats (as featured on my Misérable and as a gunboat) just don’t look right to me (nor could they properly seat two oarsman abreast adequately) and my attempts at SNOT hulled boats couldn’t adequately capture the shape of a boat whilst remaining small enough to be practical.

But I recalled Richard’s post. The 6-wide bow pieces aren’t too bad at all, it’s just the balance of the hull that’s the problem. What if I were to mate a 6 wide bow (and, it turned out, stern) section to SNOT walls? SNOT could cover vertical and horizontal shaping more subtly than building with bricks. The first build was the launch, which is built on a six wide base, but I’ve now got down to a five wide base for a pinnace and cutter – the five wide centre is a technically more difficult match to the six wide bow and stern, and the result is more fragile, but I think it works nicely.

The Launch.

   The launch is a large vessel (and rightly so) It ends up being a tad over 8 studs wide, and 30 studs long. It is six wide internally, allowing plenty of room for two men for each of the four oars. A sail can be rigged as the situation requires, and can carry a small gun.

The Pinnace.

Smaller than the launch, the pinnace is under seven studs wide and 21 studs long. Only five wide internally, the pinnace provides three benches for oarsmen. The pinnace can be rigged with a lugsail, and can carry a small gun if required.

The Cutter.

   The smallest of my SNOT ships’ boats (any smaller, and I may as well use a rowboat), the cutter is a shorter version of the pinnace, providing only two benches for oarsmen rather than three (this makes for an awkward 5x5 floor section). The cutter, like the pinnace, is armed with a small gun.

(Incidentally, for those that are interested, my ship’s boats are certainly not the smallest snot boats to date. )

Here are some other pics of the boats:

These ships’ boats mark a significant return to productivity in Port Brique! Another large vessel has been completed, and one of the French Squadron has had a rebuild. Pics within the next few weeks, time and daylight permitting.

Adieu

Richie Dulin