 Pirates / 3393
Re: what makes us different?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:12:56 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote good stuff.

Drawing on a particular thread, I found that one arrived at a point where there were few dimensions left to extend. I like the hulls, and haven’t found snotwise work very satisfactory for sailing ships (Richie’s and Lindsay’s glorious success with iron and steel hulls notwithstanding).

And when there seemed few places left to turn in sailing ship design and construction, I kinda moved off into space.

I wonder whether the sort of flamboyance with which TLC produces new parts for other themes might not have helped some:

More window types: the diamond lattices are great, square lattices would be nice, 4wx3h and probably 2wx2h and 2wx4h)

Bisected hull pieces: so that one could widen (and therefore lengthen and heighten) one’s vessel

Better/different ratlines: ratlines aren’t meant to be symmetrical, and one wonders under what dreadful circumstances they’d be brown.

Rowboat alternatives: Rowboats suck. Building your own small boats is unsatisfying because of the width of the brick. What wonderful things could be done with a small boat centre section that could mate with the six wide pieces, but with five studs inside and thin walls, as for the adventurers car bodies.

Railings: the 4wx2h railings are cool if you can ever get enough, but require plates over the top for consistency (what is it with the two only studs anyway?). One can quickly imagine half a dozen glorious variations on this theme.

Gangways/ladders: there are a few staircases floating around (a bit big) and then there are the ladder/fence pieces with the two clips at one end (which are just not real close to the goal). Multideck ships need lots of these sorts of things.

Bows: one of the drawbacks in the hulls is that for large ship the bow piece simply does not rise high enough, and nor does it particularly support the ornate work often done around the bows. There are some fine examples of addressing this, but to advance from the state of the art one would really want some options there.

Cannon: I like the ones we have (in the three barely distinguishable varieties), but ships carried all manner of guns. Richie has done some fabulous work in this direction, but I can’t help but think that a Y mounted falconer, maybe a smaller version of the current cannon (3 wide) and perhaps a larger version would add great chunks of possibility.

and beyond making new parts, availability of critical parts for large vessels (tall slopes, tall inverse slopes, gunport doors) all act as brakes on the creative flow.

It reads like I’m complaining and just failing to address these issues using humble bricks (it only sounds this way because I am complaining), but I have tried to address these things, and seem to have come the end of possibility.

My sailing ships are still the pride of my collection, despite having considerable larger and more impressive starships here and there.

Snotwise research into hull sides has not gone auspiciously well, and hull bisecting is on hold until the Legend makes it onto Australian shelves at a decent price. I have high hopes that this work will shake something loose.

   Pirates Rule!!
I have to disagree here: Pirates rule?

Surely you mean the properly-constituted-navies-of-civilised-nations-and-particularly-the-French rule!! :-)

Sigh.

When the Brikish fleet controls the major ports in all the oceans, and just about all the major shipping lanes, only a Frenchman could come to the conclusion that a discussion of the ruling of things maritime could properly include the French. Actually, I’d have been happy with properly-constituted-navies-of-civilised-nations. There’d have been some years when I think France might not have qualified ;-)

Richard Still baldly going...