 Boats / 474
Re: Mini-fig Scale Maersk Ship...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:51:27 GMT

In lugnet.boats, Josh Wedin wrote:
   Hi Robin,

Great ship! I really your bigger version. And the tug is a nice touch as well. I work on the waterfront in northwestern washington state. So I see tugs and large freighters every day. I just have a couple of comments. The ship itself is closer to being minifig scale, if it were a small container ship, but your containers are still a bit small. I have unloaded a lot of these Sealand containers and you can comfortably drive a forklift into them. In fact, two forklifts can squeeze by each other if the drivers know what they are doing. Most containers are about 8.5 feet wide inside (I am sure someone knows the exact size and will correct me :-)) and vary in length. I think Sealand containers are about 40 feet long. It doesn’t look like a fig can drive into one. What do you think?

Agreed. This is a known issue with the standard (as designed by LEGO) minifig scale container, it’s too small.

We’re stuck between a rock and a hard place though, either we abandon the design (and lose compatability and not have a use for all the train club containers) or we live with it.