 Boats / 331
Re: Launch of HMAS Ballarat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.boats
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 04:03:04 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Ross Crawford writes:
Well, yesterday I went to the launch of HMAS Ballarat, the 8th ANZAC frigate
launched at the Tenix shipyards. This leaves just 2 more to be launched from
the contract for 10, worth around AU$6 billion.

The ballarat will now be fitted out & trialed before being delivered to the
RAN - 5 frigates have already been delivered, 3 to the RAN, 2 to RNZN.

Here's some of the pictures I took
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=17749 including some before
the launch, some after, a couple of the historic RAAF flypast, and a shot of
Ballarat alongside HMAS Stuart (ship 6), due to be delivered on May 30.

I also took the opportunity to snap some crane shots, as it's the only time
you're allowed to take a camera into the place 8?) and of the modules that
will fairly soon become the hull & superstructure of ship #9.

You can read more about it at www.tenix.com - select ANZAC ship project.

   Neat!  Thanks for sharing these.  Now THAT is a flared bow, yessirree.
   It's nice that you folks get to actually see your launchings--they won't
   let us very close to ours; we had a nice AEGIS destroyer go into the
   water last year--the last "real" launching for the yard in question--
   and unless you were lucky enough to charter a boat or walk up onto the
   bridge a half mile away you couldn't see it.

   Now they're going to be using a floating dock and lowering the ships in.
   Blah.

   LFB