 Boats / 319
Re: SNOT Boating, con't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:51:03 GMT

In lugnet.build.military, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.build.military, Shaun Sullivan writes:

[snip]  Every now and then I've just been putting up a pic or two to mark
my progress.  Tonight I'll have a bunch of time, so I'll try to POVRay some
different views to give the idea of the overall form a bit better.

I put up a couple more views.  As much as I like POVRay, it unfortunately
insists on a 3d perspective, so even when I want a simple top down or side
projection view, you're stuck with some distortion on the ends.  Ahh well, I
suppose that is, after all, the point of the program :P

Does anybody know how to get MLCad to spit out a side view and a top view?
I've got the iso view down pat ...

I'll also
try to scan in some pics of the line/hull drawings I'm working from (again,
your recommendation of Fock's book was a godsend, Lindsay ... my continuing
thanks).

  I'm glad you actually got a copy of the thing.  I hope you'll
  post lateral and dorsal views--I'd like to get a look at that
  curvature.  Do you actually have enough 1x1 technic beams to
  put your master plan into operation, and will the tiny gap
  between the brickface and the half-pin's stud cause any problems?
  (That's why I couldn't use that method to affix the panels to
  FdG, but you're not dealing with heavy fairings.)

I've got some pics of the model in my gallery now from those views ... I'll
also try and scan in the frame drawings this weekend.

I actually have nowhere near enough 1x1 technic beams to pull this off so far,
but the situation isn't as bad as it initially appears.  Adjacent 1x1s can be
replaced with 1x2 2-hole technic beams, and four adjacent 1x1 beams can be
replaced with 1x4 bricks with 4 side-facing studs.  Granted, I don't have
enough of any of those either, but the point is that I can hodgepodge together
a number of alternatives in order to acquire all of the parts I need (I think).

I'm not sure what you mean about the tiny gap, though ... unless you're
referring to the circumferential "bushing" around the center of the half-peg
stud?  In which case, I believe that the fairing recesses into the countersuck
part of the technic hole, leaving the stud flush with the brickface.  Am I
completely off base here?

  Good luck!  A lot of the rooms in larger ships do straddle the
  waterline, in part because the waterline varies depending on the
  load the boat or ship is carrying.  However, it wouldn't be a
  problem if the upper section has to include part of the walls
  of subsurface compartments, would it?  There are no rules saying
  that you *must* make the separation point a deck.

That's true ... though I tend to think of these things in terms of Brikwars!
This isn't supposed to be just another pretty boat ;).  While I technically
*could* set the waterline in the middle of a deck level, I'd rather shift it
slightly so that minifigs below decks can run about on hearty steel, rather
than face the prospect of treading from their bunk to the arms locker.

Ahh, we'll see what I can manage.  I may be out of luck, but I haven't
taken the necessary measurements to rule it out yet, so there's still hope.

-s
  best

  LFB