 Boats / 293
Re: Narrow "Dutch" buildings.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:29:21 GMT

In lugnet.boats, Frank Buiting writes:
In lugnet.boats, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.build.arch, Eric DeGiuli writes:
These may be what you are looking for:

  <knip>

  Hey, Frank, I've never seen ANY of that stuff before!

Well it was announced here:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=29792
but most of the discussion about it went on in lugnet.trains so you might
have missed it.

Yep!  That’s the one!  Excellent!!!!

I would have replied earlier, but I am afraid that I was so inspired by it
all, that I sat and built one of the buildings (until about 1:30 in the
morning!).

Previously, I had bought and sold Lego on Ebay; read about Lego on LUGnet;
and bought Lego at flea markets . . .  but I had never really BUILT anything
of significance.  I must, say, it took a LOT longer that I thought it would,
as well as more brain power  – perhaps because, as a child, my creations
were rather samey, and simply involved inserting the occasional window into
a same-coloured brick wall, and plonking a roof on top.

Ah, but now that I have started building again as an adult, I am finding
that it’s very liberating!  For example, previously I might have looked at a
particular angular brick, and said “hmmm, that’s the nose cone of a speed
boat”.  But now, using a bit of SNOT technique, it becomes the bottom of a
bay window (1).  Jet engines become chimney pots.  Two 4x1 arches, one
mounted upside down, and with a fence behind, becomes a circular window with
a grill.  I now look at bricks to see what they could become, rather than
what they are.

The first one I built was a copy (sort of) of the building in the centre at
< http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/felsir/Muelheim22April2001/misc17.jpg
.  Tan and green bricks were replaced by white and brown (bought from lego S@H when I thought I was going to build a train carriage with them).  And once I had adapted a design, it was easy to create the next one!  Of course, the thing that I like about that style (lots of tall, thin, and different houses crammed into a small space) means that you can build a house to fit the number of bricks you have. Hundreds of classic 2x2x1 windows, and 1000s of white bricks?    Build a big, wide house!   Only 4 grey arches, none of which are the same? Build a tall thin house (See the building on the right at http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/felsir/Muelheim22April2001/amsterdam06.jpg > ). Only a handful of grey 1x2?  Use them as “edging” stones.  The old “classic” 2x3x1 door the wrong scale for your minifig house?  Use it as a window.  < http://www.1000steine.de/gallery2/g108/1.htm >  How liberating to use my imagination – rather than my memory of childhood creations – to build stuff.

Actually, talking of grey arches and bricks, does anyone else recall the
rather excellent sand green office building, with grey “lintel” arches above
each window?  I did a search on LUGnet, and found a thread discussing it,
but the link to the picture seems not to work.  Shame – I used to visit that
page occasionally just to admire it!

Anyway, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, and providing
me with inspiration. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some building to do .
. . . . hmmm, now where did I put those grey arches, rocket nose cones,
pirate ship rigging and pink Belville accessories . . .

Robert

(1) Except it is not a bay window.  I know that there is a proper name for
windows that stick out beyond the face of the building on a floor other than
the ground floor.  However, I can’t remember what it is!