 Boats / 282
Re: Cross setion of the SSN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:13:03 GMT

In lugnet.build.military, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  PS:  I almost forgot--there's a WWII US sub sitting on the Michigan
  side of Lake Michigan, near Holland MI--USS Silversides.  Also worth
  a visit, and you can see a lot more of it than you can most "tourist"
  subs.  I happened by late one evening when they were hosting a private
  group, so the OIC let us on too to look around at our leisure.  :D

Tell me you've gotten a chance to visit Battleship Row in Fall River, MA,
Lindsay?  If not, *when* you get permission to hang out with LEGO-types (not
*if*, you may note), we'll have to take a day trip down there.  Two PT boats, a
battleship, two destroyers, and a sub, all WWII vintage (I believe ...).  They
were fantastic to see ... unlike most self-guided tours, there really wasn't
that much that was off limits.  I'm sure I breached a couple of etiquette rules
as I crawled around the engine decks getting greasy and happy.  I was sliding
between various shafts and conduits and pipes to check out clearances and such.
Sadly, my visit was limited to a mere 4 hours, at which time my then-fiance
started to completely and utterly lose it.

I endured a great many shopping excursions to make up for that day ...

Anyway, the battleship was phenomenol, the PT boats droolworthy, and the sub -
wow.  I've been in the USS Albacore in Portsmouth NH, and the accomodations in
that look *luxurious* compared to those in the WWII sub.  The most entertaining
part was that some poor saps had their beds strung above the racked torpedos
since there wasn't space anywhere else to put them.

A highly recommended stop for both military anficianados and tech-heads, in my
opinion.

-s