 Belville / 372
371  |  373
Subject:
5834 The Enchanted Garden
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:57:27 GMT

This just arrived today. Quite interesting. The play mat is actually a
cloth handkerchief (1), about 15"x15". Other components:

1 Large green vacuum formed hill with cave and painted stream (same mold
as used in 3148 Carla's Winter Camp)
1 light yellow Belville tower
1 trans sparkly dark pink Belville tower roof
1 light blue 8x8 brick (the same blue as in last years Belville sets and
in the Life on Mars sets)
1 bright green 8x8 brick (the same green as the big plate in the Speeder
Bikes set)
2 light blue Belville swing frames
1 dark pink Belville swing seat
1 light orange 6x12 tile w/studs on 3 edges (I think this orange has
been seen in Scala before)
1 dark pink 6x12 tile w/studs on 3 edges
1 lime green 6x12 tile w/studs on 3 edges (another Scala color)
1 mint green 4x4x2 Fabuland car seat (may be a new color)
1 mint green 4x6 tile w/studs on 3 edges
1 trans medium blue 6x6 pyramid roof (note that the 1x1 cylinders
apparent in the picture are part of the roof piece - bummer)
2 white 3x6x5 trellis arches (these are a new piece NOT the Fabuland
piece used in Milimy's House - see more below)
2 white 1x6x2 arched fences
4 white 1x6x2 arches
2 white 1x4x2 triple lobed piece (used with print in the Mickey Mouse
sets for car radiators)
1 white bird cage w/yellow bird
1 yellow 2x4x2 Belville rectangular bucket
1 dark pink watering can
1 trans dark pink 2x4 treasure chest
2 light yellow 2x2x2 cones
1 Belville girl (Flora) w/mint green chest and dress
1 Belville girl (Elena) w/light blue chest and dress
1 light yellow sleeping bag
1 light pink sleeping bag
1 lime green fabric butterfly cocoon
1 lime green butterfly
1 light blue butterfly
1 silver Belville coronet (not metallic green as I expected - bummer)
1 metallic blue Belville coronet (at least this one is as expected)
1 light blue Belville/Scala book
1 sticker sheet for Belville book
1 light yellow 1x4 plate
2 light pink 1x4 plate w/small axle pin at each end
4 dark pink 1x1 wheel hub w/white tires
4 lime green 3+ flower stems
2 bright green 3+ flower stems
4 green 2x2 plates
1 light orange teddy bear
1 black spider
1 white string w/studs at each end, total length 11 studs
1 dark pink 3+ flower w/printing
1 trans dark pink 3+ flower
1 trans medium blue 3+ flower
1 trans yellow 3+ flower
1 trans purple 3+ flower
2 trans dark pink 2x2 bricks
2 trans dark pink 1x1 bricks
2 trans dark pink 1x2 bricks
2 trans dark pink 1x4 bricks
2 trans medium blue 1x1 bricks
2 trans purple 1x1 bricks
2 trans green 1x1 bricks
1 trans purple 1x2 brick
1 trans green 1x2 brick
2 trans yellow 1x2 brick
1 clear 1x2 brick w/crown printing
1 trans dark pink 4L rod (now you can have a pink light sabre!)
1 white 1x1 plate w/clip to hold rod horizontally
2 trans medium blue gems
1 trans dark pink gem
1 trans purple magnifying glass
1 Elena booklet
1 Flora booklet
1 Booklet "The Adventure of the Little Princesses"

A bummer about the new trellis arches is that instead of the bottom just
being two posts, the bottom is a 1 stud wide C shape (which forms a
square when two are put together). This piece will be harder to use than
the Fabuland one.

Now that I have all the sets, here's some thoughts (but first the prices
of the sets):

$4.99 5831 Adventurous Puppies
$8.99 5832 Vanilla's Magic Teaparty
$16.99 5833 Rosita's Wonderful Stable
$41.99 5834 The Enchanted Garden

While these sets seem expensive, I suspect I will be buying a bunch of
5833s. 5833 is definitely the best value for a system set. For one's
$16.99, I see 24 pieces which I'm pretty interested in. I really like
the translucent 3+ flowers and can see myself populating a magical
garden with them. I will probably have to get some more copies of 5834
to get the roof piece and the trans purple flowers. 5832 is the most
disappointing value I think with just a handful of pieces useable in
minifig creations. I will still get at least one more copy to have 4 tea
cups though.

I like how these sets seem to encourage some creative play. They have
little story books to spark a kid's interest, but the pieces just seem
to me to speak to making something of one's own, especially with the
inclusion in the larger sets of some unused translucent bricks.

While the butterflies have "cute" written all over them, I really
actually like them.

(1) ok, I'm going to have to build a pink pirate ship and let someone
use this cloth as a doo rag! (or should that be an eew rag...).

Frank