 Aquazone / *884 (-10)
Subject:
Well I voted for it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:51:02 GMT

... but I didn’t add it. Thanks to whoever added this. Unfortunately we’re not ranking after the vote, though.

The file is big cause I did it fast, so be warned...

Sea Monkeys as an Aquazone subtheme?

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 00:54:03 GMT

   I think it’s time we made a bigger deal about the artistic side of what we AFOLs do. Gallery shows, maybe a separate art display at brickfests etc. I know, there are of course time and space constraints, but I can just imagine this stuff and stuff like Brendan Powell Smith’s ‘wallpaper’ for instance, in a gallery setting. I think there’s a whole other audience out there. I agree with Larry that we could show a thing or two to those artists who’ve ‘dabbled’ without fully understanding the brick medium. Artists who use oil paints would be equally (and justifiably) critical if I (and I’m sure, many other AFOLs) were to start painting in oil.

The thought of a true art show is a bit intimidating to me. But I agree that the community has the potential to do so. I think it would be funny to go to one of my local coffee shops that display the usual “my dad is a jerk, no one loves me” type art* and show some of my light hearted lego stuff.

Ah, yes, the non-AFOLs are a fascinating breed. We continue to study them. I think the appreciation for Sea Monkeys is more of an ‘inside’ sort of thing. Count me as one of the ones who enjoys them, but I can see how they would still look like a toy to the untrained eye. The clocks on the other hand, are both a familiar useful object and probably quite surprising to someone expecting a toy with studs on the top; they transcend the medium for non-AFOLs. And they are quite elegant. I imagine that the non-AFOLs don’t fully appreciate the SNOT that went into the clocks either, but they know what they like.

Keep creating, Felix.

Peace and artistry,

Professor Whateverly

Thanks for the encouragement.

Felix

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 00:40:10 GMT

   Great stuff all around. What is the piece attaching the sink to the central post? An R2-D2 leg?

Yes, it was the most “pipe” looking white piece I could come up with from my collection.

I dipped my toes in the deep blue sea while you were out:

http://www.ozbricks.com/bricktales/misc/monk/monk01.html

I’ve still got to write a more extensive story to go with that MOC.

I can’t believe I missed a Sea Monkey creation! Thats great, the bubble canopies give it a good creature look.

Felix

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 00:37:44 GMT

   Living Together

I love this! I shared this with my wife and we had a mushy moment. :-)

I feel very proud to have fostered your mush. I’ve noticed it rings a bell with married couples which is very cool.

   Contribution

I like the concept of doing abstract art with LEGO. I’ve never had the guts to try it myself, but now maybe I’ll think more about it.

Well, you certainly have a knack for sculpting.

   Cool clocks. Maybe I should get some clock mechanisms and try this genre as well. Did you see the cuckoo clock posted by Bill, the ex-Master Modeler from Legoland?

I did. That type of model could easily fit one of the small AA battery size clocks I made. Ir really is a fun concept to play with because a model can become a functioning aspect of your house.

Thanks for the kind words.

Felix

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 00:27:21 GMT

.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=74586 Living Together>

   This one is dedicated to my wife, Kristy. We recently celebrated 10 years together.

So who’s who:)?

Why I’m the green one, of course ;^)

   Contribution

   I had just spotted this on Brickshelf and though, “Only one person could do this...” And I was right. A very nice piece, and one that has that non-LEGO feel about it. I also see a little art deco in the repeating rings, but I think that’s just me.

I know what you mean-o about the art deco. There’s a Miami Vice-ness to it. Thats what I get for living in Florida for so long.

   Again, welcome back!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Felix

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 03:52:02 GMT

Felix Greco wrote:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=74575 {Contribution}>¬

I *really* like this one. Don't know why, but I do.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:01:05 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Felix Greco wrote:

Snip

   Contribution
This was an experiment in non-representational art. The idea was that each sphere contributes a part of itself in a unique, but ordered fashion. I was inspired by a book I read about Wassily Kandinsky.

Check Yourself
A self-portrait of sorts. The model is supposed to represent a long hard look at one’s self. I think I missed the mark on this one-- looks more like someone drinking from a water fountain. Perhaps I’ll rename it “What’s this mirror doing at the drinking fountain?”

Welcome back Felix.

I tend to assume that silence on Lugnet indicates busy-ness elsewhere and building. It appears that you’ve been building quite a bit.

I don’t think you missed the mark with Check Yourself; I think that it’s somewhat open-ended in that people can see what they want/need to in it. And, that’s good; too often I see stuff that’s trying too hard to get a point across. I really like Contribution for its very abstract quality.

I think it’s time we made a bigger deal about the artistic side of what we AFOLs do. Gallery shows, maybe a separate art display at brickfests etc. I know, there are of course time and space constraints, but I can just imagine this stuff and stuff like Brendan Powell Smith’s ‘wallpaper’ for instance, in a gallery setting. I think there’s a whole other audience out there. I agree with Larry that we could show a thing or two to those artists who’ve ‘dabbled’ without fully understanding the brick medium. Artists who use oil paints would be equally (and justifiably) critical if I (and I’m sure, many other AFOLs) were to start painting in oil.

   Clock 1 and Clock 2
These always go over big when company comes over-- I don’t know why. The Sea Monkeys get a raised eyebrow while the clocks (which aren’t too imaginative) get cheers. The non-AFOL’s tastes are odd. I made two more smaller clocks in a similar SNOT manner and gave them to friends as Christmas gifts but never photographed them.

Snip

Ah, yes, the non-AFOLs are a fascinating breed. We continue to study them. I think the appreciation for Sea Monkeys is more of an ‘inside’ sort of thing. Count me as one of the ones who enjoys them, but I can see how they would still look like a toy to the untrained eye. The clocks on the other hand, are both a familiar useful object and probably quite surprising to someone expecting a toy with studs on the top; they transcend the medium for non-AFOLs. And they are quite elegant. I imagine that the non-AFOLs don’t fully appreciate the SNOT that went into the clocks either, but they know what they like.

Keep creating, Felix.

Peace and artistry,

Professor Whateverly

click for art.

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 01:58:29 GMT

I just spent an hour reading and looking at all of these! I love it all!
Fantastic. Original. I laughed, I cried, Five Stars!

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 00:51:29 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Felix Greco wrote:
   Just thought I’d say hi

Welcome back!

   and show some of the stuff I’ve been up to lately.

Great stuff all around. What is the piece attaching the sink to the central post? An R2-D2 leg?

   Like some weirdo AFOL sailor, the sea beckons me and I have to build underwater sci-fi. I still try and catalogue all that is aquazone-ish so please let me know if I’ve missed anything.

I dipped my toes in the deep blue sea while you were out:

http://www.ozbricks.com/bricktales/misc/monk/monk01.html

I’ve still got to write a more extensive story to go with that MOC.

Bruce

Re: The Sultan is Back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:55:14 GMT

In lugnet.build, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   -snip- really cool stuff!!

   Check Yourself
A self-portrait of sorts. The model is supposed to represent a long hard look at one’s self. I think I missed the mark on this one-- looks more like someone drinking from a water fountain. Perhaps I’ll rename it “What’s this mirror doing at the drinking fountain?”

Felix, I see this as you intend it, and think it is very powerful. This is something, along with the ‘Guy going through’ sculpture for Houston that i feel transcends to the level of true Art - that is, using LEGO as a medium for self-expression, and connection with humanity. I’d love to see an entire series of these, and to see them at an art show proper.

I’m with Lenny on this one, It’s art, and moreover, it’s better art (coming from someone that understands the medium) than some of the stuff from “real” artists, at least some of who, in my view, are using the medium purely for stunt value.

Welcome back, Felix... we look forward to hearing/seeing more about your work!

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact