 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 689
688  |  690
Subject:
4-4-4 Steamer MOC Instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:12:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi All,

Over the holiday weekend, I was able to finish up the LDRAW model for the
4-4-4 steamer I posted about a couple of weeks ago.  After moderation, the
instructions and a couple of renderings can be found here:

A couple of points to mention:

(1)  The instructions are for the engine only, and do not include the
tender.  It's worth noting that the engine worked wonderfully at our last
show, running all day Saturday with a number of cars in tow - no small feat
for a steam engine with pumping pistons!!  However, it does require two
motors, even though it is a relatively small engine.  One motor will propel
the engine well enough, but it cannot pull cars without some additional
power.  Oh yeah, and the engine still doesn't go backwards, due to the
placement of the cylinders.

(2)  I noticed (realized?) during modeling the engine that I used the
24-stud train baseplate in this engine.  I believe that by simply using the
28-stud baseplate, the engine can easily be converted into a 4-6-4 engine,
and I believe it might even look a bit better in scale (height-to-length-wise).

(3)  On the side of the main steam cylinder, there are a couple of 1x2
plates with single studs.  Ideally, those would have some of those LEGO
ropes attached to a 1x1 round plate at each end strung over the top to the
other side, simulating additional pipes and hoses.  I wasn't about to
wrestle with LDraw to pull that off though.

(4)  The cowcatcher requires two length of flex tubing to be cut and sleeved
through the top and bottom of the robot arm pieces.  Also, I believe there
are 11 robot arm pieces depicted, but in the actual model I only used 10.

(5)  I'd love to see some other variations and renditions of this!
Different color schemes, different truck arrangements (28-stud baseplate!),
some functional lights ... go crazy, people!

Regards,
Shaun