 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4371
4370  |  4372
Subject:
Pennsylvania RR #8971 Baldwin AS616
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 04:15:34 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

For those of you who may not be aware. The Flickr Train Group is holding a Building Challenge for the Baldwin AS616 Diesel Locomotive. So I thought I’d take a break from my usual steam shenanigans an build an entry.

Pennsylvania RR #8971 Baldwin AS616

Baldwin Locomotive Works built 12 of the AS616 diesels for the Pennsylvania RR between 1951 and 1954. They used Baldwins eight cylinder 608sc engine and were rated at 1,600 horsepower. Two of the Baldwins were delivered with steam generators for use in passenger service.

I modeled the PRR version of the AS616 because I’m a Pennsy fan (It was one of the RR’s running into my home town of York Pennsylvania) and the Pennsy ran their early diesels (including the AS616’s) long hood forward instead of the usual short hood forward that most other RR’s used. The long hood forward practice stems from a nasty grade crossing accident in the 1930s. After which the Pennsy decided it would be safer if the crew cab was moved farther back instead of directly in front of the locomotive to better protect the crew. This influenced the center cab design of the GG1’s, the redesign of some P5’s and the Pennsy’s early practice of running diesels with the long hood leading.

I chose to model #8971 because she was one of the two PRR engines built with a boiler for steam heat in passenger service. Unlike her sisters which were freight service only. This gives me the option to pull a passenger consist as well as freight for added variety. I tend to like odd diesels and a Baldwin AS616 running long hood forward and pulling a passenger train would be certainly be different.

Flickr Gallery

Brickshelf Gallery

Cale