 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4287
4286  |  4288
Subject:
Automated Level Crossing using NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 21:34:35 GMT

Hey,

Here’s my go at an automated level crossing using NXT.

All pictures in this Brickshelf folder.

Two movies on YouTube:

Here’s how it works:
  • The train passes the ultrasonic sensor. The ligths start to flash and the bells ring.
  • After two seconds the gates start closing. A single Micro Motor is pulling down the gates using two thin wires.
  • The train passes the level crossing.
  • The gates open as the micromotor rewinds because of the counter weights.
  • When the gates are open the bells stop ringing and the ligths stop flashing after two seconds.
A couple of remarks:
  • Calibrating this setup is not easy. The micro motor is not very strong nor very accurate. In the current program it runs for 9 seconds when closing the gates, but only for 8 seconds when opening. I have yet to test the setup running for several hours in a layout.
  • Even though I’ve tried to avoid sharp corners, the thin wires will probably wear out sooner or later.
  • Right now, all times are hardcoded in the program. Using another sensor, it should be possible to automatically detect the speed and length of the train pasing and adjust the times accordingly.
  • The regular level crossing counter weights were not heavy enough. Adding two train magnets on each did the trick.
I’ve tried to keep the setup as simple as possible in order to make it fit nicely in a town layout.

I’d really like to hear your comments!

Esben

Brickshelf folder