 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2748
2747  |  2749
Subject:
Sikorsky S-42 flying boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:50:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello again! I've finally posted photos of my Sikorsky S-42 flying boat model.
To find the pics, search on "SikorskyS42."

This 1934 seaplane was one of Pan Am's first oceangoing Clippers, and was used
for survey flights from the US West Coast as far west as Wake Island. Most of
the S-42s eventually served in the Caribbean and on South American routes.

This one was really fun to build and has 36 seats inside...although I forgot to
get any pictures of the interior before finishing the model. The minifig in the
pics is Capt. Ed, in honor of Pan Am Capt. Edwin Musick, the pilot who flew an
S-42 on the first airmail survey flight to Honolulu from San Francisco.

Since there's no equivalent LEGO brick with the right size porthole, I
substituted trans-blue panels and used SNOT techniques to install them
"sideways" so I could get the right spacing between the windows. Otherwise this
model was straightforward to build.

Next up: either the enormous Boeing 314, or maybe the very stylish Latecoere
300.