 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2729
PurpleX: Space MOC with Construction Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:05:13 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Gallery after Moderation

Some details:

PurpleX is my first space build in more than a year and it’s creation is solely as a result of the Lego General Discussion Contest #3 over on BZPower. For awhile now, I’ve been cleaning...straightening up my work space in preparation for building more models. Consequently, the building bug has hit me hard. That tends to happen when I’ve got a tiny selection of parts available to me with tons of ideas I’d like to work on. The result is usually one of my prototypes which I then use in a MOC at a much later time. PurpleX is a result of this process as many of my space builds are. Incidentally, the name PurpleX comes from a mecha-build that never made it through the final stages of completion. That has more to do with the lack of parts available in purple than in my desire to finish the project. Ultimately, the name worked well for this project which has Danju Dark Purple highlights throughout the MOC.

The main construction is built around the opening cockpit which was the main prototype upon which this was created. The one problem I faced was the inability to open the cockpit for the minifig to fit into. This was solved using plate hinges

Once I figured out how to open the cockpit, the challenge came to figure out clearing because any cockpit that opens needs to clear some headroom. With this cockpit, it’s a bit different because it opens sideways (see movie below)

I decided to give the cockpit a wide open area to open into as shown in the stripped down model picture below.

Once I had designed the basic shape as shown above, it was a simple matter to play ‘fill in the gaps’. I added some wing parts so the open space didn’t appear to be as open as it really was. That’s when I came upon the idea of adding opening side guns to the model.

The engine compartment opens up just as most of the model does. I wanted as much SNOT building as possible and that idea extended to the interiors as well.

The landing gear came as a result of wanting to incorporate a certain Jack Stone support piece. I wanted to build a solid landing gear that had studs on the bottom since I had an idea for tile usage there.

I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did making PurpleX. As I said, the building bug has struck me hard and with my workspace semi clean (see pic below), the time has come to push my SNOT skills hard.

Build well,

minifig me!
   Dave Johann
LUGNET Member #524 | LUGOLA |