 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2571
2570  |  2572
Subject:
Hover sleds revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:13:27 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi, folks,

A few weeks ago, Elroy Davis unveiled his Cam-XT Hovercar. The Cam-XT uses minifig seats as fins, a great trick that he showed us all a year earlier on his Hover Sleds.

The Cam-XT reminded me how cool I thought those Hover Sleds were, when I first saw them. So I finally built one. I gave it to my son to play with, and he promptly broke the tail off. This got me thinking that I should build a more rugged version, in which the tail attaches to the model by more than a single stud.

Once I decided to make one change, I ended up making lots. Here’s the final result...

...and, if you care to read my ramblings, here’s some commentary. (I don’t do MOCPages, not yet at least, so comments go here on Lugnet.)

As I said, my first objective was to design a more secure tail. Next, I looked at those big jet engines and said, “Hover sled? Look at those engines! ‘Sled’ sounds too gentle. I bet that engines that size could give the driver serious whiplash.” Off to the WWW went John the Nerd, who soon discovered that jet engines producing as little as 400 Newtons (about 100 pounds) of thrust exist today, and they’re only about as big as your arm. Handwaving, I would estimate that the engines on the Hover Sled could each generate about 1800 N of thrust. Vrroomm!

I decided to make the seat back higher, so that the model at least gave the illusion of supporting the minifig’s back and head. I also decided that the main deck needed to be beefed up. I added a few greebles to the underside, and changed the handlebars. Finally, I changed the cowling piece from a Bionicle face to a shoulder armor piece, which looks more aerodynamic.

When I make a model this small, I can never make just one. As you can see, I made four. My son is having a good time with these. Why is the guy on the white bike wearing the fancy shirt and a headset? I don’t know, my kid put him there. Is he taking a phone call while he drives? Shame, shame! Or maybe not... I can justify it, read on...

I made two variations of the bike: a standard model, and the law-enforcement model. Notice that the civilians are wearing no protective gear? I envision the standard model as being a “dumbed-down” version of the one driven by the cops. The civilian bike has the same engines as the cop’s bike, for responsiveness at low speeds. But the civilian bike is equipped with Segway-like safety features, and hazard-avoidance radar. This would make it safe for even a klutz to ride, but its speed cannot exceed 120 km/hr. And it would be safe to take a phone call while you’re moving.

The police bike has a bigger power pack (those bulges under the tail). It’s armed -- laser cannons protrude through the openings in the front cowling. Importantly, it has none of the nanny features found on the civilian bike. The police bike can hit 190 km/hr -- but you do have to actually know how to drive.

So, the main difference between the civilian bike and the police bike is just software. I imagine that there would be a black market for firmware upgrades that defeat the safety features on the civilian bikes...

PLMKWYT!