 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2558
2557  |  2559
Subject:
parlugment on ice: jacques cartier park
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:33:39 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

last weekend, canada’s capital began its annual celebration of winter, known as winterlude, on the longest skating rink in the world, the rideau canal. ottawa’s lego group, parlugment, was invited by the national capital commission to exhibit an outdoor layout in a tent on the ice. we highlighted some features of our beautiful city including the parliament buildings (national government), a few local commerces (beavertails, the new ro media building) and an important element of winterlude, the snow-based park for children of all ages situated across the river in gatineau, quebec.

for this chilly layout (fortunately, the temperatures co-operated for our two day stint and were relatively mild) i designed the snow park - jacques cartier park - featuring slides, snow castles, snowy labyrinths, and a chance to try out winter activities such as snowshoeing, x-country skiing and sleighrides. a favourite at the park and other winterlude sites is the delicious tradition of “tire” - hot maple taffy poured on clean snow and wound around a stick.

some of the scenes to look out for:

the offical jacques cartier park mascots

the “snow slug”, a climbing and tunnel creature

the snowball fight atop the snow castle

the fellow with the less than pleasant job

hope you enjoy the park as much as we enjoyed the show. these layout photos are courtesy of doug eaton. other shutterbug members should be posting images soon.

-§ deborah higdon-leblond §-