 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2438
2437  |  2439
Subject:
MOCs from ParLUGment Secret Santa project, 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:59:56 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello to one and all

I promised the members of ParLUGment I'd post something about the Secret Santa
project that we undertook this year.  Since Christmas day is approaching like an
oncoming express train, I suppose I'd better get around to it.  :)  And, of
course, it never hurts to show off some efforts at using Lego to _build_
things...

At our monthly meeting in October, I raised the possibility of doing some sort
of exchange of small gift MOCs at the December meeting.  Lots of people seemed
willing, so I went forward with drawing up some MOC guidelines.  (I'll include
the text of this below, in case anyone else wants to try the same thing.)

At the November meeting, all those interested had their names put in a hat and
everyone drew a name for whom they would build something.  We had a wide range
of ages, interests and geographic locations represented (stretching from Boston
to... well, whatever planet it is that Janey Red Brick commutes in from on an
occasional basis!  ;P ).  As the December meeting approached, there were some
frantic building noises to be heard, but everybody came through, and you can see
the resulting MOCs on the ParLUGment website here:

http://www.parlugment.org/ss2004.shtml

Nifty, eh?  My favourite is the collection of MOCs from Doug, which were
actually contributed by his children and their friends.  Awwwwwww.

The actual presentation and unwrapping of MOCs was presided over by yours truly
at the December meeting, after we'd more or less stuffed ourselves with pot luck
goodies.  The identities of the builders of each MOC present were kept secret
until after all the gifts were revealed, and we had some fun trying to guess who
had built what.

If you are part of a LUG that meets regularly, I'd highly recommend trying a
simple gift exchange of this sort.  We made sure to keep the size and cost down,
so everyone could take part.  I heard from a number of people that they enjoyed
the challenge of building to please someone else's tastes.  There is even some
talk of doing the whole thing again at some time in the summer of 2005.

I'd like to thank all of the ParLUGment members who took part in the project.
It was a lot of fun to take part in, and no trouble to organise.  As I said at
the meeting, I did it because this way I was certain to get at least _one_ Lego
gift this holiday season!  Special thanks to Janey and Doug, our two
"long-distance" members, who went through the extra trouble to get their gift
MOCs to Ottawa (or, strictly speaking, Gatineau, across the river in Quebec)
even when they themselves could not be present.

Best wishes to all the other Lego builders out there.  In this occasionally
mixed-up world, may you find a bit of joy playing with Lego, whether you build
for yourself or for others.

All the best,

Norbert Black

*** guidelines for the 2004 ParLUGment Secret Santa MOC exchange ***

a)  No commercial sets - you have to design and build a Lego MOC, although
using inspiration from LUGNET or other online sources would be fine.

b)  Don't feel you have to create a masterpiece in order to take part.

c)  You don't have to follow the theme(s) suggested by the receiver [editorial
aside from Norbert:  we made everyone write up a thumbnail description of the
LEGO themes they were interested in], but the MOC gift should be something that
you think that person might enjoy, based on what you know of them.

d)  Don't go wild on either size or expense.  [aside:  we decided on a rough
maximum value of $5 in parts]

e)  The wrapped MOC gift must be present with a tag saying who it is for at
the _December_ meeting.  If you yourself cannot attend, it would be your
responsibility to get the MOC there somehow.

f)  You have to keep secret the name of the person you've made a MOC for
until all the gifts have been given out.  Part of the fun is not knowing
exactly who each gift is coming from!