 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2200
2199  |  2201
Subject:
Royal Knights Summer Palace (MOC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 03:26:31 GMT

I am pleased to announce my latest MOC: the Royal Knights Summer Palace. This
building is loosely inspired by the castles and palaces that I saw on my
honeymoon in Spain.  I began this project about two and a half years ago, with a
few very long breaks along the way. Pictures are posted on Brickshelf at:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=wiggenhorn

The hill and basement are built on 4 gray 48x48 baseplates, connected together
with friction pins.  The main level is built on a combination of many green
brick baseplates.  The top level, built on gray plates, separates into three
pieces with removable roofs.

The basement includes a kitchen, armory, supply room, treasury, and dungeon.
The kitchen has an oven with racks for pizzas(!) and a kettle hanging over the
fire.  There is a small hidden alcove in the kitchen, accessible only by pulling
a torch and sliding a section of the wall.  Stairs lead directly to the dining
hall above.  The basement also has a secret tunnel that starts with a swivel
door and goes out underneath the gardens by sliding out part of the hill.

The main level includes a chapel, ballroom, throne room, and dining hall.
Behind the main doors is a portcullis with a working winch.  Once this is
raised, you can enter the courtyard and from there doors lead to the throne
room, dining hall, and chapel.  Father Luke is presiding at a small mass.  A
hidden swivel door leads to the ballroom where the Hogwarts Three are warming up
and a spiral staircase leads upstairs.  The throne room has a stained glass
swivel door offering a quick escape.  On either side of the throne room are
double doors leading out to the gardens.  The gardens have a stone statue of a
lion overlooking a reflecting pool.  The dining hall has representatives of the
Black Falcons and the Dragon Masters, eating side by side with some Royal
Knights.  I suspect the king has invited them to ask to forge an alliance.

The top level includes the wizard’s room, the princess’s bedroom, the king and
queen’s bedroom, the queen’s sitting room, the great hall, a meeting room, a
guest room, and the knights’ barracks.  The wizard’s room includes a loft for
his bed, a desk, and plenty of potions and other magical necessities.  The
fireplace has a secret entrance into the princess’s room.  For safety and
security, the only other entrance to the princess’s room is through the king and
queen’s bedroom.  The queen’s sitting room features a full-length mirror and
chaise lounge.  The great hall opens out onto a balcony where the queen is
admiring the gardens.  A trap door in the ceiling of the great hall leads to the
otherwise empty structure on the roof.  It’s rumored that ghosts inhabit the
suits of armor outside the meeting room.  A reasonable supply of books and maps
are near the round table.  A hinged panel in the meeting room allows access to
spy on the guestroom.  You can never be too careful!

I’m not sure how many total pieces are in the model, but some of the highlights
include:
4 gray 48x48 baseplates
46 minifigures
106 gray 1x5x6 castle walls