 Announcements / 481
480  |  482
Subject:
Folks, we are not playing well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 05:08:43 GMT

I'm probably going to regret this post. So be it...

Some of you may be aware of a variety of bad stuff brewing over misplaced,
or possibly misplaced, auction and trade posts. There has been a lot of
discussion about how some people might be so offended to even be reminded
that auctions exist that they might leave the community, and thus we have
lugnet.market.auction, and item 11 in the Discussion Group T&C (see
http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=2 for the full text). There has been some
confusion about the appropriateness of non-auction market posts in other
groups, which has resulted in several people being flamed. There has also
been a big deal brewing about auctions, and when a trade deal turns into an
auction etc. etc. etc. (take a look in lugnet.admin.general,
lugnet.buy-sell-trade, and lugnet.market.theory if you want to delve into
some of the dirt).

I have been participating in this discussion, attempting to act as a voice
of reason. This participation has left me feeling rather down, and wondering
whether it's worth participating in Lugnet. Does it reflect my values? This
afternoon there was a post which got me really thinking, but I decided to
delay posting. Well, this evening another hot potato exploded, and we are at
risk of losing, or have lost, the participation of a valued member of this
community.

I am hereby asking everyone to stop trying to police Lugnet for Todd. Let
Todd take care of things. I'd also encourage people to participate in the
discussion of "what is an auction" in lugnet.market.theory. I'd also ask
Todd to take some serious self examination of how Lugnet has been policed.

I want Lugnet to be a fun place for all, and remember that since this is a
hobby for almost all of us, that some of us may not have as much time as
others to devote to the hobby. For most, this means they want to read what
they are interested in, and not stuff they aren't, so try and post to
appropriate groups. For others, it may mean that they rush out a post
between crisis at work, and may poorly word a post, or may post it to the
wrong group. Don't flame them, be gentle. If someone is being a jerk and
continually posting in the wrong place, even the most easy going of us will
get annoyed and e-mail him or Todd. Let Todd decide someone is an
unrepentant jerk, and kick the person off if that is the only solution. I
haven't seen any jerks here (though there have been some people who have
been rather trying at times).

follow-ups to lugnet.admin.general
flames to lugnet.bit.bucket or to private e-mail

Frank