 Announcements / 3367
3366  |  3368
Subject:
The Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:08:47 GMT

For those of you who have prepayed for the LEGO CD, I appologize profusely for
the long wait.  I posted over 2 weeks ago that they will be going out soon, but
they didn't.  Lots of last minute changes, including the addition of another 200
images made it impossible to go out.  (If I didn't include those images in your
special "light scribe" AFOL version of the CD, then you would not have been
happy with me if they went out in the general edition for Amazon.com)

Well it is 3:30 AM Tuesday morning and I am 150 miles north of home in a small
town of Alger Michigan, not far from the shores of Lake Huron (and about 30
miles from where rock star Madonna was born).  We just finished producing the
last of the special CDs, and they will be going out starting tomorrow (Tues),
along with the special freebie CD.

I have been working on nothing else for the last 2 weeks (14 hour days), and the
final result is this:

About 1,300 pages in the CD in 45 chapters.
About 1,700 image in the CD.
And the freebie extra CD for those who prepayed will contain 89 high res images
(3 times the number I originally promised).

It is one thing to produce a "collectors" guide, but it is another thing to
produce something the size of the monumental "War and Peace" novel.  :(

The light scribe images look fantastic, and you will love the chapters that
include many many items that will be unknown to most of you.

Here's a few items that I didn't even know about until recently:

A LEGO 1:87 metal wheel Opel Kapitän car of 1958 that was never made as a
prototype, shown on the box top of all the basic sets of 1958-60, but never sold
to the public (thanks to Henrik Thane of Denmark for the great pics)... 1960's
1x1 alphabet bricks in lower case (some 2 letters on each brick) that were
tested for sale in the Netherlands, but never went into production (from Kurt
Richter of Germany)... a 1955 Danish Esso Service Station LEGO promotional car
given to service station customers (from Manuel Cueto of Columbia)... and the
list goes on.

The special "freebie CD" (for all you preorder folks) will include all 30
architectural Lego pics from 30 European architects that were on exhibit at the
Centre Pompadour in Paris in 1985 (THE WORLD OF LEGO TOYS book has a few of
these).  The special CD also contains a 1959 German Retailer catalog, a 1970 USA
Samsonite retailer catalog, and many other old pics of TLG in the 1950's and
1960's...

I hope you folks enjoy the blood and sweat I put into this, and will forgive me
for taking so long.  I have never done this before, so I had no clue as to the
immensity of the project.

The LEGO CD will be a CD with 47 PDF files, with bookmarks included.  The 1,300
pages includes a 381 page Insurance Price List Guide for insuring your old LEGO.
This is NOT a price guide!!

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope you folks will be happy with your CD's when
they arrive.

Also, the CD text is copyrighted, but the images are NOT.  I did get Rene
Hoffmeister's permission to use some LUGNET images when I had no other
comparable ones available.  Thanks Rene!

I also had a lot of great images and help from the following people from around
the world:

Eric Strand, Dave Shifflett, Clark Stephens, Jim Hughes, Ben Beneke, Phil
Traviss, Kurt Richter, Manuel Cueto, Henrik Thane, Steve Scott, Christian
Servant, Klaas Meijaard, John Patterson, Luca Giannitti, Guanluca Morelli,
Thorsten Wilhelm, Morten Frost, Kirsten Stadelhofer (of TLG) and a host of
others.

Again,

Sorry for the long delay, but those folks who have the CD should be able to fill
in all the blanks for all LEGO sets and parts going back to 1949.

Have a happy holiday everyone.

A very tired and weary....

Gary Istok

P.S.  There were a few extra CDs created for anyone who missed out on one of my
few earlier announcements.