 Announcements / 2907
2906  |  2908
Subject:
LUGNET Site Administration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 21:24:15 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

All,

Last week I flew to Boston to talk with Todd Lehman about LUGNET's status and
events leading to it. I was brought up to speed by both Todd and Matthew Miller.

Briefly, I'll relate some history. The Transition Team's work toward a
community-run model of site management and/or ownership slowed at some point
last fall. I had personally left the team a year before and disengaged myself
from their discussions. When Todd's attention to LUGNET lessened, part of the
team's focus naturally shifted to more immediate concerns of membership and
posting activity. Some administrative duties were taken on by team members who
were able and willing.

Because Todd and I were not overseeing site management during this time, we take
responsibility for the confusion and frustration of recent months regarding
authority, administration, protocol, and the like. I apologize to our community
of users. Our lack of leadership created a vacuum. ...it's oddly worth noting
that our absence was what brought on the need for a transition in the first
place.

The recent acting admins lacked power and access to certain essential functions
because the transition has yet to take place. They also lacked Todd's and my
guidance. I'm sure it made for a frustrating situation. Although some of their
actions/reactions were not in keeping with Todd's and/or my unstated personal
ideals, I've considered the chain of events and believe their behaviors occurred
as natural reactions to circumstances. To now review incidents publicly would
not be helpful.

A few words regarding the slowdown of Transition progress: All team members'
time and efforts have been volunteered. It is understandable that their
contributions have fluctuated over time. Some team members stated from the start
that their involvement would be minimal. I must commend Tim Courtney in
particular for his dedication to keeping the group on track while he
participated. Among other things, he pro-actively organized communications,
summarized phone conferences, and outlined itineraries. I also thank those who
stepped in unofficially on Todd's behalf when it was absolutely necessary to do
so.

Todd and I are now discussing how to proceed. Please be patient.

More later,

Suzanne Rich Green
co-founder and former administrator of LUGNET