 Announcements / 284
283  |  285
Subject:
Lego Space-Science Fiction URLs Requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:48:42 GMT

Hi all. Here's a bit of a longer post, but I feel it's worth it and you might
too.

The BayLUG (the San Francisco Bay Area Lego Users Group) Space page is up! I'm
its weaver and I need what the subject is asking for. Please respond via
email, not by posting your URLs.

The Baylug space section ( http://www.baylug.org/space ) is a page of nothing
but links to these kinds of creations listed by category. Note that I said
science fiction as well as space because some folks make alien minifigs
(triffids, et.al.), weapons, etc. that are not "outer space" in the strictest
sense of the word (because some weapons and aliens never leave their planets),
but nonetheless fit under the general umbrella of sci-fi. Any scale is
welcome, as are any Mindstorms creations that apply, such as robots, and
things that would ordinarily be associated with space and sci-fi. Even some
trains can apply, and I hope they do!

Purity is a *must*, but there are stipulations. I'll explain below.

1. Here are the categories on the Baylug space page, each with a brief
description. See if your creations fit any of the below. BTW, your pages don't
have to be 100% space/sci-fi content.

VESSELS
All interplanetary (sublight velocity) and interstellar (supralight velocity)
vessels

VEHICLES
All planetary-based vehicles; treads, wheels, repulsors, watercraft,
atmosphere-only craft, submersible and subterranean

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
All fully programmable non-weapon systems and devices; includes manufactured
sentients

AI WEAPONS
All fully programmable automated weapons systems and devices; includes mechs
and manufactured sentients

WEAPONS
All semi- and non-programmable weapons; includes powersuits and hand weapons

OUTPOSTS
All military-only equipped planetary and non-planetary based facilities

STATIONS
All civilian and military equipped planetary and non-planetary based
facilities and starbases

INDUSTRY
All (inter)galactic businesses and non-profit entities

CIVILIAN SECTOR
Other non-military/recreational versions of the above establishments; tourism;
points of interest, planetary and non-planetary

STAR WARS CREATIONS
Lego creations specifically related to the Star Wars universe

WORLDS
All planets, planetoids, satellites, realms and governing bodies not seeking
expansion

FEDERATIONS
All political/social bodies seeking expansion via pacts of non-aggression

COLLECTIVES
All political/social bodies seeking expansion via transformation, absorption
or assimilation

EMPIRES
All political/social bodies seeking expansion through aggressive and/or
destructive appropriation

LORE
Various accounts and images of events in the intergalactic realm utilizing or
inspired by official and unofficial Lego® creations

If you are aware of a category that I've missed, please LMK, especially if you
have pix that apply. I haven't added UNIVERSES as right now I feel LORE covers
this subject nicely, plus each universe usually has more than one instellar
governing body, all of which can be fitted into the political categories
already listed.

2. Note that you do not have to be a member of Baylug to have your URL posted,
though member URLs will be displayed more prominently. Please feel free to
check out the whole site at http://www.baylug.org as there are other cool
things to see, and we are now accepting free and paid memberships.

3. When you email me at my above spam-proof address, please list the
categories to which your creations apply. You can send a single URL (your
space home page) that links to all your space stuff, or an individual URL for
each page which yields more exposure for your site, plus viewers find exactly
what they're looking for. Each page can cross categories even if you have more
than one category per page so don't be shy. Even a picture of just a spacebase
with a surface rover qualifies for two links: one for the base and one for the
rover.

4. A subject in a picture that contains any non-Lego brand pieces cannot be
linked. Should a picture contain a model/subject containing all official Lego
pieces and also contain a model/subject with any number of non-Lego brand
pieces, a link will only be created for the model/subject containing all
official Lego pieces. Please stay true to this.

5. IMPORTANT: List which creations that have LDraw (compatible) instructions.
State whether the instructions can be downloaded from the URL directly
(preferred), or sent from you by requesting them by contacting an email
address found at your URL.

6. A sample email to me (including individual page URL, category and LDraw
status) might look like this:
---sample---
Hi, here are my space URLs.

http://www.funkysoft.com/~jg/space/worldtakeover.html
Lore, Collectives, Empires

http://www.funkysoft.com/~jg/space/mars-lander.html
Vessels, AI
instructions downloadable

http://www.funkysoft.com/~jg/space/solarhamstercruncher.html
Vehicles, AI
instructions downloadable

http://www.funkysoft.com/~jg/space/nucleartomatolauncher.html
Weapons
instructions via email

http://www.funkysoft.com/~jg/space/treaty-nullifier.html
Vehicles
instructions via email

http://www.funkysoft.com/~jg/space/anti-matter-drinks-mixer.html
AI, Civilian Sector

http://www.funkysoft.com/~jg/space/y-wing.html
Star Wars

Thanks,
Joe Gritz
---end sample---

7. No attachments. Email replies with attachments will be deleted before
inspection.

Also general input regarding the space section is welcome.

Please post any relevant questions and/or comments.

Thank you for your time.

[Posted to lugnet.announce and rec.toys.lego]

-Tom McD.
when replying, mmm.. delicious.. satisfying. It's spamcake au gratin.