 Announcements / 2388
2387  |  2389
Subject:
Master Builder Competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 04:05:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Jeff Elliott and I stopped by LLCA this morning on the way to Day 63 of the SCLTC display at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum in order to see what was going on at the master builder competition.

The event got underway very promptly at 10:00 as advertised. We arrived at 10:20 or so and missed the beginning. The event was held on what used to be the Fun Town stage (there no longer is a stage) which is the area immediately outside the LEGO Club House where PAB is located. It’s also the same site (sans stage) where the LEGO Star Wars Galatic Challenge world finals were held.

LEGOLAND had set up a row of tents housing LEGO displays and event sponsors. There were massive LEGO banners set up to make backgrounds for photographers. There was a hired video crew. The crowd was sparse and consisted mostly of people supporting the contestants or LEGOLAND employees. One of the park employees spotted our LTC shirts and struck up a conversation. He brought us up to date on developments:

Because one current builder was expected to leave soon, they would choose a replacement for him/her and because the park was expanding, they would go with three instead of just one. He related that the contestants were told last night that the theme would be LEGOLAND itself. The Modelshop guys were given input into what bricks the contestants would use and upped the count from 2000 to 4000 bricks, which still fit in a single tub. In addition, each contestant was allowed to fill a bag at PAB this morning.

The bricks supplied forced the contestants to use them as sculpting material rather than to build things in the style of the LEGO sets. In other words, it was Miniland style construction instead of Minifig construction, but without the access to large quantities of any single thing. There were basic bricks and very few specialty parts. Near zero Technics, no gears, no motors and very little in the way of swivels/turntables or even hinges.

Each contestant was given a table with a marker giving his or her name and city/state. Someone had thoughtfully arranged all the chairs so that no one had the morning sun in their eyes. Contestants were already well at work. We spotted Derek Schin right away and he was making good progress. We said hello, but while Derek was willing to talk I refused to take away more than a few seconds of his time even though Derek had made it plain he was there for the experience and would not leave his current job. We spotted Nathan (who I do not personally know) at the opposite end of the table array. We stayed until about 11:00 (we need to get to SDMRRM to start up the RCX animation and talk to visitors). It was hard to judge how things were going, but it seemed clear that the judges were going to have a lot of high quality entries. Jeff and I agreed that the person who had already done two beautiful dragons for the Dragon coaster was in very good position. I neglected to note that builder’s name.

Having been to three national championships and two world finals, it was interesting to note the differences. Setup wise, this event compared most to the 1992 LEGO World Cup where contestants had their own tables, name cards, and a single bucket (those contestants also had “bar service”, country flags, and were isolated in 4 separate rooms away from spectators). As I mentioned before, it had some things in common with the 2000 LSGC world champtionship: same park, same spot, but the 27 builders here had more than twice the room that the 36 builders had 4 years ago. Those kids had to build in spots as small as 2 square meters including room for their feet (or butts), stacks of LEGO sets in the original boxes, and their models. And this time the LEGO people remembered the lesson from the 2000 national championship where TV crews were allowed to poke their lenses in so close during construction that one finalist had his model smashed at the last minute (he was not allowed to rebuild it).

One thing that I felt in common with all the other competitions was a personal sense of nervousness -- and I had no personal stake in this outcome! I remember at the first national event that I attended the construction ended at noon, LEGO took us all to lunch at a nice restaurant. The kids all kicked back and enjoyed each other. I was not alone among the parents who could hardly eat for nervousness. I hope it was better for this group.

-Ted