 Announcements / 2182
2181  |  2183
Subject:
SIGGRAPH Wrap-Up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, lugnet.cad, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:11:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The Event

Well, all good things must come to an end. We wrapped up the SIGGRAPH 2003 [1] LEGO display on Thursday afternoon, after an exhausting but fun week of building and hanging out with conference attendees and fellow AFOLs. What an amazing time!

SIGGRAPH contacted a few AFOLs early on in the year, asking if we would be willing to put on a display there. I, along with Derek Schin, Adrian Egli, and Steve Barile answered that call and put on the LEGO display.

   Left to Right: Derek Schin, Steve Barile, Tim Courtney, Jill Smolin, Mary Nichols, and Adrian Egli (the random dude in the background doesn’t count)

The Goal

The goal was to involve the audience (conference attendees) in a LEGO building experience - for the fun of it. We were set up in the Sails Pavilion of the San Diego Convention Center - the ‘free play’ area of the conference. The room also included bean-bag chair lounges (one with ethernet cables) :-), video game stations, volleyball, concessions, and a weird musical hammock contraption with an annoying subwoofer that hurt our ears.

   The weird, annoying contraption.

Collaborative Build

Our area played host to a huge collaborative build of the SIGGRAPH 2003 logotype, the Imperial Star Destroyer, Rebel Blockade Runner, Yoda, and Darth Maul. The SIGGRAPH 2003 logo included more than 15,000 bricks and was 16+ feet long. It used white, blue, and lime green in a dithered pattern to capture the sheen of the logo as seen on this page

LDraw

LDraw was the other major component of the display - as we wanted a tie-in to computer graphics. This gave AFOLs the incredible opportunity to promote our grassroots CAD tools to the computer graphics pros and students who came to SIGGRAPH. Through the kind help of the SIGGRAPH people, we secured some computers to set up at the display for people to play with. LDraw was VERY well received, many people commenting how they never heard of it, and also how they had slaved away creating their own bricks in (insert program here).

Steve Barile, John Gramley, and I held a Birds of a Feather session last Tuesday to talk about the LDraw system in-depth. Many eager guests attended, including someone who used to work with LEGO on 3D stuff :-) A small glitch occurred - when we opened the projector bag, we discovered two laptops instead! :-o So, hence the photos with the laptop screen in the corner. Despite the unexpected “technical” difficulty, the session went well.

   Public Service Announcement: Don’t drink and LDraw. This was taken at the reception in the evening - note the crowds behind. Our booth was packed during this time! :-)

   Steve also brought some trains, but it was much more fun to send Yoda’s head around the loop.

Locals

Robert Powell, Paul Thomas, and John Gramley (Southern Pacific LEGO Train Club) stopped by and hung out during the convention and after hours. Other familiar LUGNET names were Keoka Proudfoot and Stephen Wroble. We also pointed many un-connected AFOLs in the direction of clubs in their local area. They were genuinely surprised to learn there were other adult LEGO fans just like them. I hope they get involved with the clubs we steered them towards!

The Playtable

Starting the second day, we set up a playtable area with a K8 supplied by Jake and LEGOLAND. As you can see, people really enjoyed it! During the reception Wed. evening, the play table didn’t have an empty seat! People took time away from food (and drink) to have fun building with LEGO bricks!

More Photos

You can check out Steve Barile’s BrickShelf gallery for more photos of the event.

Special thanks to:
  • Jill Smolin and Mary Nichols of SIGGRAPH, for providing the resources to put this show on
  • Lucasfilm for donating the four large Star Wars models
  • Robert Powell for use of AV equipment
  • All of our wonderful student volunteers who eagerly assembled the logo and Star Wars sets!
  • Henry Lim for the use of his Audrey Hepburn mosaic
  • Jake McKee and LEGOLAND California for the playtable K8 at last minute’s notice - it was a big hit!
  • All of the wonderful people who came to the conference and talked with us at the booth.

Next Year??

There’s already been a couple mentions of next year’s SIGGRAPH (which will be in Los Angeles), but of course nothing concrete this far out. If you have any suggestions, or are interested in helping, please let me know and I’ll pass the word along to the others via our mailing list.

-Tim Courtney

[1] SIGGRAPH is “The world’s largest marketplace of computer graphics and interactive techniques.” Lots of really neat, cutting edge stuff there!