 Animation / 900
899  |  901
Subject:
camera recommendations for stop motion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:39:32 GMT

I’m looking to move beyond the cheap webcam I’ve been using in the past. My current digital still camera doesn’t support software-driven capture, and is getting pretty old anyway. So I’m looking for a new DSC that will do a better job. Unfortunately, the features I most care about are exactly the ones that none of the manufacturers seem to include in their tech specs:

1. Able to manually focus on objects as close as 5 cm
2. Able to provide a live video feed over USB or Firewire (so I can use onion-skinning to position each shot)
3. Compatible with software-driven image capture

Though actually, if it has 2, I’m not sure 3 matters much, as the software receiving the feed can pretty obviously capture some of it.

I also have a fairly limited budget -- I certainly need to keep it under $250, and preferably under $150. Ones I’ve considered so far include the Fujifilm Finepix V10 5.1MP, and the Pentax Optio M20. But I’m not really sure that either of these will work.

Any suggestions from the trenches?

Thanks,
— Joe