 Animation / 824
823  |  825
Subject:
CG Batman film using virtual LEGO (was: CG Batman Film using non-LEGO)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.animation, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:48:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, David Koudys wrote:
http://www.daveschool.com/BATMAN/

A wonderful little CG movie.

I don't know how the students got Adam West, DVD, et. al, to do the film, but it
was really well done, and the voices were wonderful.

Anyway, I've also uploaded the movie to my webserver, so if the website link
above gives you any grief, you can right-click the link below and save the movie
onto your hard drive.

Not cross posting anywhere 'cause I'm unsure of the ettiquette--others can if
they so desire.

     I'm glad you posted this as I've been thinking of doing the same but
couldn't decide if it should go anywhere other than .clone-brands. That being
said because of your question below (and my answer to it) I'm going to
cross-post this to .animation and .general (with fut set back to .clone-brands).

http://sparky.i989.net/media/video/Batman_Net.mov

A question--does MB make the same trees as the trees found in LEGO sets 'cause
there's a few scenes with trees and they look remarkably like LEGO trees...

     Jon's right in his post that most of the brick elements in the film are
rendered Lego. Here's a quote from the "About the film" section of the first
link you posted:

     "Keeping with the "TOY" theme The DAVE School Students have built a
vibrant3D world out of computer generated Lego blocks. Every set, every prop and
every character has been precisely modeled according to strict scale
specifications. Almost every location, vehicle and character has been, or could
be, built out of Legos. To research this project and aid in set design The DAVE
School purchased over 100 pounds of Lego blocks from dealers on e-Bay!"

     I guess they had to go with Lego elements since there are not that many
basic C3 elements out there (only ten sets to date - with lots of specialized
pieces). Anyway, a very cool and well done project by The DAVE School.

Ken

Dave K (not the other Dave!)