 Animation / 578
Re: Pneumatic/Motorized Camera Tilt Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:53:41 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
At 02:44 PM 10/7/2003, you wrote:
In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
At 07:12 AM 10/7/2003, you wrote:

[snip]

Your original system had the pistons underneath the platform, right?

No, if you look at the photos you'll see that each piston is joined above
the platform. It's not the best system because of the lower power you
achieve with retraction versus extension, but it works best when you're
trying to keep everything above ground.

My bad.

You must be assuming that the ganged pistons would be underneath.  This is
not a requirement.

No, I'm assuming they're above. The platform must be above ground level no
matter where the pistons are if only one side of the platform is
articulated, unless you have an area below ground underneath the platform
clear. The ideal platform would be able to tilt up, down and would reside
at ground level. As far as I can tell, this is impossibly pneumatically
with only one side articulated. Unfortunately.

I'm not advocating for ganged pistons.

Perhaps not, but I really liked your control piston system and would like
to use it if possible. I'm just not sure it is even possible and still
maintain the flexibility of the platform.

I'd think that a geared mechanism (possibly motorized) would be best.

I'm wondering about that, but I'm also wondering if it's possible with only
two motors instead of four. I have two of each variety (yeah, I don't
have the largest collection on earth) and trying to pair them would be
tricky at best.

I would think that you can easily do it with one motor for the front, one motor
for the back (greatest flexibility.

You'll have to use the other variety motor to rotate the turntable.

I'm thinking about a rack system, basically replacing pistons with a set of
rack gears and a big gearbox. Control would be finer, provided I drive it
with the RCX. I may be able to more easily incorporate it with one of
Beat's turntables as well. Hmm. "Some Thought Required For Assembly."

Fun, eh?

[snip]

It perhaps wouldn't help this application but would be fun nonetheless.
I'll have to think about that. I'm still thinking about the motorized side
of the project as well. (brain overload...)

Time to do some building!

The best part...

~Mike

Kevin