 Animation / 576
Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 18:44:38 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
At 07:12 AM 10/7/2003, you wrote:
[snip]

I've been thinking about that, and in the shower today I realized that
using a ganged piston system like Kevin suggested would not work without
doing exactly that - elevating the studio floor or putting the camera below
ground level. Neither of these are simple, especially for the current film
project - my "studio" is about 3'x3' and a good 8" high. Not easy to work
with at all.

Your original system had the pistons underneath the platform, right?

You must be assuming that the ganged pistons would be underneath.  This is not a
requirement.

I'm not advocating for ganged pistons.

I'd think that a geared mechanism (possibly motorized) would be best.

Also, I realized that with a ganged piston system, the platform would have
to be raised a piston shaft's length above the ground in order to obtain a
skyward point of view. This means that the platform must be anchored in
front several studs off the ground - which is not good for things like
portraits or closeups. The platform ideally ought to be touching the
ground. So without Tobbe's in-ground camera system suggestion, I either
need two more pistons or a different idea. Since I'm not a rich guy, I
started thinking alternatives. (sorry, Kevin!)

To make a skyward camera angle you must either raise the front of the camera (as
well as the stage), or lower the back (again with the stage not flat to the
ground.

Kevin